Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 07:04:13 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  The Woodchucks Are Out & About
« previous next »
: [1]
: The Woodchucks Are Out & About  ( 2878 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 20, 2012, 05:49:46 AM »

I mean the real woodchucks.  A number of years ago I heard somebody being called a woodchuck.  I had to ask what they meant and they told me they were talking about Native Vermonters.  I had never heard us Old Native Vermonters called that before.

Anyhow, I see there is a photo of a wood chuck in today's Burlington Free Press.  Interestingly enough, I have not seen a woodchuck for years (a real one that is), until yesterday as I was driving up Fletcher Road just before I got to Steve Ratte's and one was in the road and I had to slow down so I wouldn't hit it.  Don't know what woodchucks eat, but this one looked very slick and well fed.

Henry Raymond
al brodeur
: 216

« #1 : June 20, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »

Henry,
I am surprised that as an ole farm boy you did not run over the critter. they eat grass.
they were one of the worst things farmers used to have to contend with, because when mowing hay a horse could step into a woodchuck (ground hog) ( whistle pig) hole and breaks its leg and you know whats done to a horse with a broken leg ----dog food
Even a tractor farmer can have hay machinse broken by the debris by their holes.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: