Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 04:18:47 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Couple Says Racism Still Alive In Vermont
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Fairfax Couple Says Racism Still Alive In Vermont  ( 13540 )
slpott
: 457

« #15 : January 25, 2013, 03:45:37 PM »

It always goes back to the "demanded respect" or "earned respect". There is a big difference. People generally treat you the way you treat them.
mirjo
: 785

« #16 : January 27, 2013, 07:16:46 PM »

@nhibbard, I couldn't have put it any better. Like everyone else here, I too felt insulted by this article and the attitude of this couple. I have friends from all walks of life, however, I do judge people, I admit: those who are a-holes and those who are not. It's a very simple system and has served me well.

I don't know what's happened in this couple's life, but they clearly have a chip on their shoulders and maybe should retire elsewhere since they're so unhappy here.

I don't think the paper did a service to anyone by printing a disclaimer about the language content, like we couldn't figure out how the term "nigger" was being used in the article. I'm not a racist, but I certainly am tired of being treated like I personally issued an order for slaves some 200 years ago and launched the ships to Africa to kidnap people from their villages, wrote the Jim Crow laws, called for the segregation of everything, purposely led the charge to keep the black man down, and burned crosses with the KKK, etc. It had nothing to do with me or my generation.

I'm shocked by some of the things this couple has alleged--especially at the level in which they said it occurred, it seems very surreal. I can't say they're wrong, because I wasn't present, but considering the tone of the story, I have to question how much of their perceptions is an accurate portrayal and how much is their own racist attitudes?

"Vermonters and Vermont students are "conditioned to believe it's only right when it's white," said Hill. The conditioning is reinforced when the only faces they see in positions of authority are white. Judgeships are filled with whites, as is the governor's cabinet and school superintendents. Even groups such as the Chamber of Commerce and the United Way have all whites leading them, noted Hill." - Could this have anything to do with only 1.1% of the population being African-American? I would ALWAYS assume that if you take the majority and look who they are, that would be the majority of representation at all levels. Again, that's an assumption, best person for the job gets the job in my view.

My thoughts exactly. It's always seemed ridiculous to me to preach about diversity and so on, when this is like the whitest state in the nation--not because we're unfriendly, but because it's damn cold we have long dreary winters that even the people born & raised here complain about loudly! I think people don't want to come here for that reason and because it's very rural. There isn't much here. Some people like to have more around them than others do.

After six years on the Human Rights Commission, Boyd-Hill said she has opted to no longer serve on commissions. "I'm not a token," said Boyd-Hill. "I have more worth than that." She does not need to serve on a commission to speak, said Boyd-Hill. "I don't need anyone's permission because I am a child of God and I have a voice. I will always have a voice," said Boyd-Hill. - So there aren't enough people of color on boards or committees, but when she was, she was the "token" and quit? I'm not seeing the logic.

Unless I have my history lessons  wrong, it seems any significant change that ever happened in changing the very things these two are complaining about came from selfless acts of staying with it, what ever it was, for the greater good. Ms. Boyd-Hill appears nothing more than a whiny poser, which is unfortunate, because she's likely a very intelligent woman with a lot to offer.

One point I'd like to make about the alleged overt racism this couple has experienced, while I know racism does exist on some level still everywhere, I don't believe it's as horrible or overt in Vermont as in more urban states. Here in Fairfax, for example, the Saini family owned and operated Nan's Mobile for a number of years and recently turned the business over to family members in the past year. Parkash became a friend to all who entered his store, his children and niece and nephews grew up and graduated from BFA. They are Indian, not black, but certainly not "white."  They moved to Fairfax in 2001-- a bad year for people of Middle Eastern descent after 9/11. If the people of this town were going to be racist, this is where it would have occurred. I don't recall any particular incident directed at the family or the store that would be considered a hate crime, because of who they are (If I'm wrong and someone knows differently, please correct me).

The point is, Parkash was always gracious and friendly and enjoyed his job as a store owner. It showed in his attitude and I don't think the business at Nan's suffered any when it changed over from the "white" owner's hands to the "Indian" owner's. As someone else said, you're going to find what you're looking for. Maybe these two want sympathy or something. ???

« : January 27, 2013, 07:38:40 PM mirjo »

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
lena6
: 357

« #17 : January 28, 2013, 12:09:26 PM »

Can we please close the book on this debate?  Enough has been said.
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #18 : January 28, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »

or beating a dead horse????
Counselor
: 55

« #19 : February 08, 2013, 12:48:38 PM »

Seems like your situation is indeed what you make of it.  This is in stark contrast to the story here and I think is more indicative of VT and its people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R8YaVKLWyUU
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: