Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 06:40:16 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Speed Limit Change On Fletcher Road
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Speed Limit Change On Fletcher Road  ( 15016 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 19, 2010, 07:11:25 PM »

I haven't noticed it, but have been told that the speed limit is changed on The Fletcher Road from above the Rainville Farm.  It was 50mph and now I am told it is 30 mph.

I saw Road Work signs going up today, but didn't happen to notice that one.  It is going to be tough if you are going 40 or 50 mph at the top of the hill to drop down to 30 mph without riding your brakes.

Anybody know why that was changed?

Henry Raymond
slpott
: 457

« #1 : April 19, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »

Not sure but if I was to guess I would say because of the number of cars that have been hit by deer. I know of three right in front of my house on Flertcher and 1 down a bit towards Rainville farm. It seems they live in my woods back bere. We see 8-14 deer almost everyday.
HayesFXFD17
: 125

« #2 : April 20, 2010, 06:42:20 AM »

I would like to think it changed as a temporary proactive approach to the work zone and influx of vehicle traffic that will be caused by the bridge work.  I do not recall seeing any discussion of this in the past selectboard minutes. 
cronsteel
: 34

« #3 : April 20, 2010, 08:47:43 AM »

I'm totally behind the change. We live just where the speed limit changes on your way into town, and some people come flying through there from both directions; sometimes at night it sounds like people are drag racing out there. Makes me nervous with young kids (including mine) playing on either side of the street. So I know we'll enjoy the 30mph, for however long it lasts.
monte198
: 79

« #4 : April 20, 2010, 06:10:51 PM »

I can not remember seeing this brought up in the select board minutes or discussion by the towns people.

Signs are up in both direction at this time heading roughly north on fletcher rd towards main street there is a 40 mph advisory sign near wheezys way then a posted 40 sign.   A 30 advisory sign and then a posted 30 sign.  The area is well marked and i cannot as a defense you didn't see a speed limit sign. 
From the other direction there is one posted at the intersection of river rd and another 30 sign posted just after the crest of the hill near boisuanault rd.

Today the Sheriff's dept was in the area making contact with multiple operators. 
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #5 : April 20, 2010, 06:49:56 PM »

The Sheriff was there parked near Claude's barn when I went down to Mass tonight.  I am not a fast driver as probably many will attest to and find myself driving between 30 & 40 MPH down the Fletcher Road.  I saw the Sheriff's car tonight at the same time I saw the 30MPH going down the hill and checked my speed and I was going 45 MPH.  I thought, Oh Crap, but I must have been forgiven tonight.  Going to have to start concentrating on the speed limit though, as I have to admit, until I saw the Sheriff's car, never gave it a thought.  Must be driving down that road for the last 57 years has made me a bit absent minded.

Henry Raymond
special ED

« #6 : April 20, 2010, 06:54:20 PM »

« : April 20, 2010, 07:06:34 PM Henry »
Shadylane08

« #7 : April 21, 2010, 11:55:10 AM »

Boy oh Boy good thing we pay to have the sheriff in town to pick up the locals speeding in speed traps.
Mummy
: 280

« #8 : April 21, 2010, 01:35:19 PM »

Okay ... This is just crazy!  Most folks don't do the 50 mph on Fletcher Road much less 30mph.  This is just a waste of money to change those signs plus the man power hours!  Who's idea was this?  I mean really!
mirjo
: 785

« #9 : April 21, 2010, 01:43:34 PM »

Is it a temporary construction thing?

30mph on Fletcher Rd is a bit ridiculous and seems like a trap for FFS to make money.

There's a good chance I'll be the first one busted. I'll just have to find a new route home.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Grizzlybear12
: 4

« #10 : April 21, 2010, 01:56:20 PM »

Changing the speed limit on Fletcher Road from 50mph to 30mph doesn't make any sense.  Would someone please explain this one to the general public?
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #11 : April 21, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »

It is absolutely SILLY where they put the signs.  You have to ride your breaks down that hill (imagine that in the winter) and if this is a permanent thing then I would like to know who to contact.  I can understand it turning 30 just before Steve Ratte's.

And what did the Sheriff do last night, wait for everyone during rush hour traffic and pulled people over! Unbelieveable! I think that all who got tickets yesterday should complain to the Sheriff's department as they clearly focused on it to generate revenue because they knew people may just be seeing it for the first time. NOW, if they only pulled people over to give them a warning and inform the driver of the new speed limit, I would be OK with that.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Shadylane08

« #12 : April 21, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »

I have to imagine its going to be a temporary thing, getting everyone slowed down well before the hill on the corner where the detour will be onto Boissoneault Rd for the bridge replacement on main st.  But I do think its lovely that the sheriff took advantage of the new opportunity! *sarcasm sarcasm*
monte198
: 79

« #13 : April 21, 2010, 06:06:50 PM »

I'm guessing the town roadway foreman would be the one to ask about the signs considering fletcher rd in a town highway.  I'm not seeing how this is a speed trap when there are so many signs informing the operator of the speedlimit.  Not sure about the rest of you but my vehicle is equipped with brakes. 

If revenue is generated from traffic stops on Fletcher rd it is recycled back into the town.  I'm almost certain i saw a notice hanging on minors country store bulletin board not to long ago reflecting the speed limit change.
mirjo
: 785

« #14 : April 21, 2010, 07:39:50 PM »

I'm almost certain i saw a notice hanging on minors country store bulletin board not to long ago reflecting the speed limit change.

Clearly not the best way to notify people!

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: