Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 07:02:40 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fire At Old Holy Angels Convent In St. Albans
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fire At Old Holy Angels Convent In St. Albans  ( 2938 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 14, 2009, 07:51:42 AM »

About 40 elderly residents were evacuated in an apartment building fire in St. Albans.

Fire crews responded to a hallway entrance fire at about 11:15 p.m. Tuesday at the Lake Street Housing building. WCAX-TV reports it was put out quickly, but residents were evacuated to the nearby Holy Angels Parish Center.

Chief Joe Beaudry said there was a lot of smoke in the building, which could have caused medical problems.

Apartments on the third, fourth and fifth floors were not evacuated, but all residents were checked to make sure they were safe.

This is a five story building and used to be the convent for the nuns.  I had an aunt that lived there on the 5th floor.  The only windows she had were up near the ceiling and were dormer type windows.  I am sure the building has plenty of safety codes, but as an elderly person, would probably pick a place on the ground floor for easy evacuation.
« : October 14, 2009, 09:56:37 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
treebeard34
: 103

« #1 : October 14, 2009, 08:40:31 AM »

Wow! after my dad had his cancer surgery and recovery he became the maintanence man when they first opened. he made many friends in that building, i helped do a little work on the weekends to help him from time to time

Mark Teague
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #2 : October 14, 2009, 09:34:47 AM »

STATE OF VERMONT
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

FIRE INVESTIGATION UNIT

VERMONT STATE POLICE

PRESS RELEASE

INCIDENT: Fire at 251 Lake Street in St. Albans
TROOPER: Det/Sgt Jeremy Hill
STATION: St. Albans
CONTACT#: 524-5993
DATE/TIME:  10/13/09 at approx. 2259 hrs
LOCATION (specific): 251 Lake Street, St. Albans
VIOLATION: Fire                                       
SUMMARY OF INCIDENT:

On 10/13/09 at approx. 2259 hrs. the St. Albans Fire Department and Police Department responded to the Lake Street Housing building for a fire alarm activation.  A 911 caller also called to report there was a fire in an entranceway of the building.

The apartment building was equipped with a sprinkler system which activated and extinguished the fire prior to the fire department arrival. 

The Vermont State Police were contacted to conduct an origin and cause investigation.  The cause of the fire is still under investigation. 

St. Albans City Police is asking anyone with information or who may have seen anything to contact the Arson Tip Program at 1-800-32-Arson or the St. Albans City Police at 524-2166. 

No one was hurt in the fire and property damage is estimated under $1000.00

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : October 14, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »

This is a suspected Arson Fire - Wonder who would be cruel enough to try and set a fire in the entrance to an Elderly Housing Complex - Surprised they don't have surveillance cameras there.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: