Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 06:47:40 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  session over in Montpelier
« previous next »
: [1]
: session over in Montpelier  ( 2562 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : May 17, 2007, 07:25:43 AM »

The legislative session is over. As many know by now, we adjourned on Saturday night at about 11pm. When the Governor came in to the chamber to give his end of the year address, he praised some of the work accomplished, but definitely made it known there is room for more when we re-convene in January.

I am especially pleased with the agriculture bill, which made several small changes in the ways farmers do business and has opened the doors for small farmers to enter the industry. The sex offender bill, H148, was a good step forward too.  It brings into law many of the issues I worked on, especially during the civil confinement effort last session.  I'm very glad to see these finally become law. The energy bill, H540, had many good parts, but unfortunately the Senate plunked on the Entergy tax, which I could not support. The Education bill H 526, is a start, but much work remains. For more detailed information on these or any other legislation just give me a call at home 527-7694 or e-mail at  cbranagan@leg.state.vt.us

My committee (Ways and Means) plans to meet through the summer to work on a fair, less costly way to raise money needed to fund our schools. The new plan will probably include some form of an income tax..........remember that about 70% of taxpayers in the Fairfax/Georgia district already pay on income using the income sensitivity method, so this will not be a big change for us. I'm hoping the committee can reduce the overall statewide tax burden.

It is good to be home. I'm tackling housework and trying to get outside in the gardens. Keep in touch.

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives
« : May 17, 2007, 08:54:22 AM Carolyn Branagan »

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: