Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 11:44:04 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Legislative Update From Gary Gilbert - May 6, 2007
« previous next »
: [1]
: Legislative Update From Gary Gilbert - May 6, 2007  ( 2549 )
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« : May 06, 2007, 06:17:43 PM »

Things have definitely changed in Montpelier. Major bills that have emerged in different forms from the House and Senate have been assigned to committees of conference. Until now, each body had acted independently. They each investigated the available information, listened to experts, and consulted with their constituents. The different versions that emerged represented what each body believed were the best course of action to take. Now, three members from the House and three members from the Senate will sit down to re-examine the issue by focusing on the data and the choices that had been made with the goal of producing the best possible outcome. If the conferees cannot reach an agreement the legislation is dead for this term. If they do reach an agreement, it returns to each body where it can be debated but must be voted on without amendment. If passed by both it goes to the Governor. If not, the bill is dead.

This conference work is different than what we saw during the year. It is very serious work and the conferees, chosen by the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate are knowledgeable people and best able to handle the work in a very public manner. I have taken the opportunity to sit in and observe this work whenever my Education Committee is not meeting on an issue that is still in the hopper or preparing for next year. I encourage anyone to take the time to come to the State House this week. Nothing will be predictable. At times we will be impatiently waiting; at other times we will be intently busy. But it will be interesting all the time.

I can be reached during the week in Montpelier by calling toll free at the State House 1-800-322-5616 , by E-mail at ggilbert@leg.state.vt.us, or at my home answering machine at 849-6333.

Gary Gilbert
State Representative
Franklin 1
Fairfax/Georgia
: [1]  
« previous next »
: