Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 03:58:13 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  JoAnne Captures Some Kind Of Nest Up In The Trees???
« previous next »
: [1]
: JoAnne Captures Some Kind Of Nest Up In The Trees???  ( 3462 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 07, 2011, 08:08:55 AM »

Hi Henry,
Glad you are enjoying the snow. I have had all I want for this winter season.
I saw these ??? in some treetops yesterday. Anyone have a guess what they are. Seems really high for turkeys. Maybe porcupines? I think they were larger than squirrel nests.

Jo

Henry Raymond
Shadylane08
: 125

« #1 : February 07, 2011, 08:36:37 AM »

I'm saying turkeys.  The lighter brown areas look like wing feathers to me.  I've seen them roost anywhere from 10' to the very top of trees.  Glad to see some around, all this snow is going to be very tough for the turkey and deer herds this year.
Judi
: 508

« #2 : February 07, 2011, 01:38:27 PM »

They could be turkey vultures, I saw a lot of them around in the Fall.  Or perhaps they fly South?
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #3 : February 07, 2011, 02:28:45 PM »

I wo uld guess turkeys. Turkey vultures go south for the winter...
Dick Brown
: 414

« #4 : February 07, 2011, 02:49:47 PM »

Jo   Terrific close -up photo.....and kudos for a great job spotting them in that stand of mixed trees , as your first photo showed. They certainly could be either turkey or porcupines but if you could bring the second photo up more, you could tell if they're sitting on a branch or ( in the case of the one on the right ) holding onto the tree with it's paws. In the past, I've shot plenty of porcupines who look very similar to these who are perched in such a matter in trees.....also somewhere close there would be damage to other trees ( bark stripped away etc. ) if they were porcupines.  Again great job of spotting them !!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: