Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 11:53:12 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  More On The Voting For Fireworks
« previous next »
: [1]
: More On The Voting For Fireworks  ( 6979 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 08, 2008, 10:25:29 AM »

I have started a new posting here as it gets into a second page and am afraid some people may not go to it if more replies are made - Below is my two cents:

I agree wholeheartedly with Deanne and Dave in regards to voting by the Town - And by voting by the Town, I mean a ballot vote where everyone will vote, not just 30 to 50 people.  In the 50 some odd years I have been voting here, I have seen a number of things passed or defeated by a very small percentage of the voting residents.  Anything can pretty much be passed or defeated at the Town Meeting portion if you can get 20 people together to vote for or against.

I have been criticized a number of times for my opinion on this - however it is definitely true.  I remember more than once hearing my father and father-in-law say that items some of the farmers here in town would have voted down were put off to be voted on until they left and went home to do chores and there was only a small group left.

Politics is Politics, whether a small town or not and any one person or group wanting to pass or defeat something can actually accomplish this - Whole town Ballot voting helps make this a more accurate wish of the people as a whole.

I know I am going to regret putting this up - but that is my opinion.

Henry Raymond
upsy
: 26

« #1 : July 08, 2008, 11:09:01 AM »

We can not vote by ballot on a warned item other than the Town budget & Officers. There would need to be a warned item to include all articles involving property tax funds approved by the voters at Town Meeting in order to vote by ballot on these items. We have had an article to change this at least twice, but it has been voted down. If you would like an article to include all monetary items on Australian ballot you can get the Fairfax Selectboard to include this on the 2009 warning.
Mummy
: 280

« #2 : July 08, 2008, 11:58:40 AM »

What is the difference  if the "Town" votes it in  and  you pay in taxes for the fireworks verus the donation jars?  If you live in town, you pay for the fireworks by taxes.  If the jars are available and you live in town, then you drop your money in the jar.  In addition to your donation, we will receive the donations of others who are here during the month of the fireworks but NOT here during the Town Meeting. 

There are many who for one reason or another can not afford an increase to their taxes.  Remember these folks may have been the ones who helped to start the fireworks in their younger years.

Can the Business Association continue to keep the jars available for next years donations?  It doesn't mean you have to give, but it is there should you choose to give.  With the jars available, someone may recall the firerworks and donate based on what they just saw the other night!  Keep in mind there are folks who are annoyed by coins and will put them in the jar!
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #3 : July 08, 2008, 12:55:29 PM »

I personally think fund raising is how the fireworks money should be raised and not by tax dollars. I agree, start now, you can raise more by leaving the cans out now.
I would much rather see $5000 of tax money go towards fixing and growing our sidewalks than the 15 minutes of ok fireworks. 

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
mxdave
: 74

« #4 : July 08, 2008, 01:27:40 PM »

I agree with you Henry that everyone should have a say on how there money is spent. The last time we checked a $5000. cost to tax payers is about $2.00 per 100,000. property value. So were talking about $5.00 per house hold if my numbers are correct. The problem with fund raising is no one wants to do it and all the businesses in town get hit hard with no return for there troubles. Even counter space cost local businesses money. If there is a group willing to try and raise money thats always the better option but it has been my experience that it's a lot of work. Just ask the FBPA how much time they spent raising $2500. Keep in mind the fireworks were intended to be enjoyed by all and get the town folks together for a fun night not divide the town in hard feelings and worries of how to pay for them.
dearon
: 233

« #5 : July 08, 2008, 05:07:03 PM »

Voting for this is the only way it can be fair for everyone. This is a democratic process and we need to follow what the majority want.  I'm sure most people that donated gave more than $5.00 that would be charged to all tax payers.  If it is done based on assessment than some will pay less and some of us will pay more.  $5.00 +- based on the value of your property is a small price to pay; that is less than 2 cents per day., for celebrating our nations birthday.   Plus if it is included in your taxes it is deductable on the income tax, I don't see that as a problem, it's a bonus!
Business in town are struggling just like other tax payers, just because their business doesn't mean they have deep pockets.  I donated a significant amount( and I don't have a business in town) I also held a flea market to raise funds, I don't think the time and effort were worth it, as only $300 were raised.  It seems to be only a few people give it their all and others sit back and wait for it to happen.
Donation jars sound like a good idea but most people are so used to seeing them, they don't acknowledge them.  The monies collected in the donation jars/baskets, although appreciated were minimal.
« : July 08, 2008, 05:11:43 PM dearon »
Mummy
: 280

« #6 : July 08, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »

OK 
If you want fireworks, donate in November (have a jar available) when you go to VOTE. 
Then you will have two items accomplished:
One, the remaining total that must be raised (by jars, private donations or taxes) and
Two, this will give you an idea if there is a true interest if it were to be a voted on.

Remember, your gas bill has gone up and so has the TOWN's which means we are looking at paying more in TAXES next year before we add in $5,000 for fireworks!  Your home heating bill which cost $1,800 to heat your home last year will be costing you somewhere between $5,000 and $6,000 more this winter.   Just something to think about for many folks who are living on a fixed income or raising a family with limited income. 
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #7 : July 10, 2008, 08:52:22 AM »

Now Dearon, Your daily situation may enable you that approach.  Others who were barely paying their bills before this gas situation arose, are now finding themselves choosing between paying for heating oil ( whether for their shower use in the summer or their budget plan for the winter) mortgage, electricity, phone and food.  Don't know about you, but between those options, i'd be pretty defensive about someone telling me $5 isn't much, which is what you're implying.  Seems to discount the reality out there.  I personally know 2 families in this situation.  Only good thing that's come out of it for either of them is that both had smokers in the family and both have now giving it up due to the expense.

Plain and simple - fireworks are not a necessity for day to day living.  I think the vote last year reflected a consciousness that we should actually be thankful for.  Fiscal prudence i believe the term to describe it would be, and though unpleasant, it does become necessary.

See that's ok though, leave the jars out and neighbors that care about their community and it's well-being, like you and I dearon, can step up with our $7 or $8 and help pick up the slack.  I mean who are we to DEMAND everyone do this? AND  We'd certainly not want anyone feeling left out because they simply don't have the same means as the folks around them.  That's the greatness of smaall communities, they have such great potential to be close knit... if they choose to be.
« : July 10, 2008, 10:43:56 AM Loctavious »

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
trussell
: 870

« #8 : July 10, 2008, 10:01:22 AM »

(In this case, I agree completely with you, Loctavious) But to change the subject just a little bit- My in-laws came to Fairfax for the fireworks and they said it was considerably better than the show the town of Essex put on (both in length and the display itself)- and I believe it was town-funded!  I heard that their show lasted only about 7 minutes. (???)  Apparently there was enough of a public outcry that they're doing another show this Friday night:

« : July 10, 2008, 10:09:07 AM Henry »

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #9 : July 10, 2008, 02:42:34 PM »

AGAIN, I don't think we'd get a very positive response from those said folks with that approach, ... that they need to change their life style to ..... make sur ethe town has fireworks.  Mid-middle class is even feel the tightening of the budget here, a class of folk considered able to afford some luxuries.  I wonder if any of us know what it's like becuase of your life situation, to be locked into poverty? 
    My family was poor when i was younger.  Even if we spent nothing but the essentials we'd never had gotten to that next wrung of the class ladder.
True, if we needed basic food, we'd obviously not buy soda and snacks.  But if we had the money, sometimes we would.  It was OUR OPTION.
     I'll re-iterate my view that non-essentials to everyday life SHOULD NOT BE IMPOSED ON EVERYONE - regardless of what and how it's 'rationalized' and by how many folks.  I do believe the government sees it the same way hence why there isn't tax on basic and essential food products.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: