Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 12:54:40 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Four Wheeler Stolen In Fairfax
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Four Wheeler Stolen In Fairfax  ( 15616 )
David Shea
: 471

« : September 02, 2010, 06:45:24 AM »

Friends of ours had a four wheeler stolen from their yard.  Authorities were notified and told the homeowner that they would keep any eye our for the property, but not to have high hopes of ever getting it back.

Description:

2007 Yahama Grizzly 400 4 Wheeler ( green in color )

Criminals know that police are at a disadvantage when it come to making arrests. 

This family of young children feels personally violated by the criminals.  They feel as though they were being watched / stalked by the individual or individuals. 

What is it going to take to send a clear "message" to the criminals?
« : September 03, 2010, 11:01:25 AM David Shea »
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #1 : September 02, 2010, 09:25:23 AM »

I dont know ,the human side of me says shoot shovel and shut up, but the christian side says forgive and forget
slpott
: 457

« #2 : September 02, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »

In my opinion there is only one side.
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #3 : September 02, 2010, 01:38:43 PM »

Dave please send me a message with the description of the four wheeler and where it was taken from.. if it is in Fairfax still trust me I can find it I've already got a couple people in mind.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #4 : September 02, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »

What is it going to take....?  A village.  or in this case, a posse.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
FletcherGram
: 103

« #5 : September 02, 2010, 04:54:40 PM »

A description of the ATV posted here would be good. You never know when somebody starts running their mouth to someone and then that person starts running their mouth and on and on.....................Posse? sign me up :-)  I will get the word out up this way.
mary
: 32

« #6 : September 02, 2010, 05:46:42 PM »

Don't these things have VIN numbers? Thought anyone who drove them off of their own property needed a registration & plates and had to register the VIN through DMV.
Shadylane08
: 125

« #7 : September 03, 2010, 07:46:15 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong Josh, but I don't think we need to register our atvs with the dmv in vermont.  Usually when something like this happens a posse is what it comes down to.  About 14 years ago there was someone running thru fairfax, fletcher, and fairfield stealing farmers atvs and even burning some of them.  There was alot of speculation as of what happened but lets just say all of a sudden people weren't missing 4-wheelers anymore.
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #8 : September 03, 2010, 08:57:33 AM »

Vigilantism is not the way to go.  We are a nation, and town, of laws.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #9 : September 03, 2010, 10:00:38 AM »

Unfortunately - we're a nation, and a town, with fiscal predicaments which prevent us from ENFORCING the sort of 'Laws' need to feel safe from these issues. 

We all chose to live out in the sticks.  And this is what happens.  AT THE SAME time though, small towns/rural communities have their own ways of maintaining order.  They don't neccesarily need VIOLENT vigilantism.  When you organize and agree to limitations... it goes from vigilante posse to 'Neighborhood Watch'.  I don't see it written anywhere that berating and making little stealing pukes wet themselves was going to get you landed in jail.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
Shadylane08
: 125

« #10 : September 03, 2010, 10:43:20 AM »

This nation was founded on vigilantism was it not?  If we would have laid down our arms, and not stood up to the British this country would not be what it is today.  A lot of people scoff at some of our rights and at some of the amendments today, saying its a new day and age, and that they are dated.  Those are also the same people that have allowed our government to allow criminals to have more rights then law abiding citizens.  So I guess today its a personal choice, would you rather sit back and assure yourself that law enforcement will protect you and all your belongs.  Then reality sets in and law enforcement tells you "they would keep any eye out for the property, but not to have high hopes of ever getting it back".  Or be vigilant (to be keenly alert to or heedful of trouble or danger, as while others are sleeping or unsuspicious) and possibly confront someone that either chooses to harm your family or steal, damage, or vandalize your property.  Personal choice I guess but I know what mine would be.
David Shea
: 471

« #11 : September 03, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »

Fairfax Residents,

I spoke with our friends this morning regarding the four wheeler.  They are very thankful that so many people in Fairfax are supportive of them.  The family would still like to remain anonymous but have asked me to post a description of the stolen property.

2007 Yahama Grizzly 400 4 Wheeler ( Green In Color )

The family used the machine to plow their driveway in the winter.  Any information leading to the individuals that have the machine would be appreciated.

Regards
Dave Shea
« : September 03, 2010, 04:32:16 PM David Shea »
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #12 : September 03, 2010, 11:32:48 AM »

There is a huge difference between being vigilant, and engaging in vigilantism, as the word is commonly understood.  I'm not talking about the official definition, but what it actually means to most people who use it.  The main difference between being vigilant and being a vigilante is the implication of unlawful action in pursuit of justice.  Loctavious clarified that it wasnt meant to advocate violence to achieve justice.  Though personally, I would take it further and say that any unlawful action, whether it be for a just cause or not, is still unlawful and the violators be subject to the law as well.

Also I believe to equate a crime committed by one citizen, with the oppression of the Colonists by the British is a false equivalency.  The first is the unlawful act of one person, the other was an entire nation-system relegating its colonies and their inhabitants to a second-class status within the British Empire.  It is melodramatic to suggest they are the same thing.

What do you think Josh?
« : September 03, 2010, 12:09:59 PM GamingWeasel »

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
Kathleen
: 167

« #13 : September 03, 2010, 01:43:36 PM »

You guys got me curious -- I always thought vigilante was more about taking the punishment in your own hands, such as vigilante justice.  So I looked up the meaning in Webster's:

Vigilante  : a member of a volunteer committee organized to suppress and punish crime summarily (as when the processes of law are viewed as inadequate); broadly : a self-appointed doer of justice

Vigilant  : alertly watchful especially to avoid danger

I think that's your answer right there.  Be vigilant but not a vigilante.
FletcherGram
: 103

« #14 : September 03, 2010, 01:46:15 PM »

Thanks for posting the description of the ATV. Yikes, we have one just like it. We'll get word around, if we hear anything we'll notify the authorities or not........................just kidding!
Also, thanks for the comments from Loctavious and ShadyLane, diito.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: