Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 08:24:05 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Where Oh Where Will Our Garbage Go???
« previous next »
: [1]
: Where Oh Where Will Our Garbage Go???  ( 1481 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 20, 2007, 02:33:54 PM »

Fairfax searches for trash solution   
Wednesday, 20 June 2007 
Only one firm bids to remove waste; service ends in Aug.

RICK BURNHAM - ST. ALBANS MESSENGER

FAIRFAX – Fairfax Selectboard members have a number of options available regarding the pickup of garbage and recyclable materials from town residents.

Unfortunately, like much of the waste at the source of the issue, none appear to be particularly pleasant and have yet to result in a decision.
    So local officials are working to make sure trash routes are covered after the current provider’s contract ends in August.
    The issue began when the selectboard voted unanimously May 7 to terminate the contract with Clean Green Sanitation, of Essex Junction, citing a number of contract violations, including issues relating to the town’s Household Hazardous Waste Day. A 90-day notice of termination was sent to the company on May 10.
    Town officials sent out requests for bids to assume the pickup of garbage and recyclables to six companies at approximately the same time, and received a proposal from one – All Cycle Waste of Williston. All Cycle Waste, according to a company representative, is a sister company of Casella Waste Management, a large disposal organization that operates throughout the state.
    Casella is a former waste collector for Fairfax, previously criticized for billing problems.
    The All Cycle proposal was at the center of a discussion Monday that focused on both short- and long-term solutions to the problem of refuse collection in Fairfax. The proposal includes two options – one that charges customers according to how much garbage and recycling is picked up per stop, and one that only accommodates a 65-gallon container, along with a recycling bin, each stop, each week.
    The proposal drew early criticism.
    “This is going to be better, how?” asked Jeff Blake.
    “I am not guaranteeing it is going to be any better,” said chair Bill Ormerod. “The only thing that looks like it might be better is that they have a call center to take all calls.”
    Board member Charlie Swanson said the proposal lacked specific information the board will need to make an informed choice.
    “Option 1 does not say how much is max,” Swanson said. “If you put out 23 bags of household items, are they picking up 23 bags? They are very specific on option 2, and option 1 they are not at all.
    “And what happens when the recycle bin gets hit? Who pays for the replacement?”
    Chair Bill Ormerod agreed, and suggested inviting a representative from All Cycle to a future meeting of the selectboard to clarify those and other issues.
    “As I see it, we have three options,” he said. “One is to go back to Clean Green and say we are not going to rescind your contract, the grass is not greener on the other side. Two is to privatize it and allow every single household to get their own carrier. Three is to have these guys come in here and discuss in detail one or both of these options.”
    Board member Judy Cleary voiced her support of privatization, and made a motion to put the issue to a vote. Jeff Blake seconded that motion.
    The bill for garbage collection is currently paid out of taxes collected by the town – the only such municipality in Franklin County to do so. Privatization would require those residents to pay directly to the garbage collector.
Ormerod worried how privatization would affect Bellows Free Academy, Fairfax. Swanson voiced his concern that privatization could result in multitudes of garbage trucks on the streets of Fairfax.
    “I would prefer not to see five different garbage trucks going around on five different days,” Swanson said. “It will just be a royal headache.”
    The measure fell 3-2, with Jeff Blake and Judy Cleary voting in favor, and Charlie Swanson, Randy Devine and chair Bill Ormerod opposing it.
     Selectmen entertained the idea of putting the issue to voters on Town Meeting Day in March, but face a more immediate predicament in the meantime: finding someone to pick up the trash after Clean Green goes away.
    Ormerod agreed to contact All Cycle officials to see if they would be willing to take over the responsibility on an interim basis – until January, or perhaps until Town Meeting Day – until a more firm solution to the problem could be worked out.
« : June 21, 2007, 06:02:07 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: