Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 07:38:29 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Will The Steeple Market Rise Again?
« previous next »
: [1]
: Will The Steeple Market Rise Again?  ( 3231 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 20, 2009, 04:45:44 PM »

Will the Steeple Market rise again?
(The following article appeared in the Friday, March 20, 2009 Edition of The St. Albans Messenger and is one of the articles written by Lisa Boucher, Messenger Correspondent.  Another article also written by her about Bruce Chattman, Franklin West Superintendent is also in that edition of The Messenger)

Fairfax businessman struggles to rebuild
By LISA M. BOUCHER, Messenger Correspondent

FAIRFAX — In the wake of the devastating fire that destroyed a Fairfax landmark many are wondering when a new Steeple Market is going to be built. So is former owner Pierre Menard.

For the three months since the Christmas Eve blaze destroyed what originally had been the old St. Luke's Catholic Church, Menard has been preparing for the possibility of rebuilding with one hand and, he says, battling an insurance company with the other.

Although there have been reports that he is indeed going to rebuild the store, that is only what he is hoping to do. It just isn't definite at this point.

"I haven't settled with the insurance company yet," said a frustrated Menard. "Not even close."

What has been settled on is the demolition of the old church, which came down this month.
Menard went in front of the selectboard in January with preliminary drawings of the new store and has started the permitting process with the town as well as with the state.

He has been speaking with the zoning administrator and had a hearing with the Development Review Board Wednesday evening regarding conditional use approval and site plan approval.
The meeting focused on the issue of flood plane permitting required by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and Menard's desire to get permission to build on the site while waiting for that federal approval.

The old church was already in the 100-year flood plane and grandfathered into an ordinance that specifically states no new construction can take place without a variance. Since the church and then the store had been there for 130 years, the issue had never come up.

To get permission from FEMA to build in the flood plane, Menard has to bring in fill to raise the rear portion of the lot to the required 346 feet, then dig some of it out again for the foundation. Menard would have to certify that it the foundation is at the specified height.

Menard also would have to get permission from the town for the process to begin, and then get permission to construct the store, once the site preparation was done. Water and sewer line work would also be required.

Essentially, it would cost more money and time to get town approval before starting to build, than to simultaneously apply for the FEMA permit and build with the condition that Menard would remove any construction in the flood zone if the permit were not granted.

In an effort to avoid any unnecessary delays, Menard presented this problem to the DRB requesting that he be allowed to do both simultaneously.

After a brief deliberation before adjourning the hearing, the DRB tentatively agreed to
withhold certificate of occupancy until all permitting regulations have been satisfied.
Menard will receive official written notice of the DRB ruling within a few weeks. For the Menard, all the preliminary work is an out-of-pocket cost, without knowing for sure whether he will be able to rebuild, which is dependent on the insurance company.

"I couldn't just wait around for all these months and not do anything," he said. "I need to be ready to go when and if the insurance comes through."

He added, "I'm hoping to rebuild, I'm just very frustrated being jerked around by the insurance company. You pay your premiums, (then when you need it), they give you a hard time and don't want to pay out."

There are many people in town and some from out of town who are also waiting for the store to return to its former glory and Menard believes that if he has his way, Fairfax will be pleased with what he has in mind.

Henry Raymond
tfence
: 257

« #1 : March 20, 2009, 05:05:01 PM »

Tell us who the insurance company is. With enough phone calls or emails they may think twice about dragging their feet. Public relations i am sure is important to them.

We are here for all your Outdoor Living Needs.
visit us at http://feerickfence.com/
also check us out on facebook
Judi
: 508

« #2 : March 20, 2009, 07:00:51 PM »

He should contact and give his complaints to the Banking and Insurance Commisioner in Montpelier.  They are the ones that allow licenses for insurance companies in Vermont.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #3 : March 21, 2009, 01:44:28 AM »

What a mess.

It seems silly that a permit was allowed for the demo of the structure and now Pierre Menard has to do all of this "jumping through hoops" for FEMA.

Who "owns" the land the site is on?

I have to say again,,,,, Bring in the National Historical Society and see what they can do.
130 years is nothing to scoff about.

I am surprised FEMA is in the equation and not DEC.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: