Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:19:02 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Big Flock Of Big Turkeys Across The Road This Morning
« previous next »
: [1]
: Big Flock Of Big Turkeys Across The Road This Morning  ( 2456 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 03, 2011, 09:05:10 AM »

Just saw a big flock of enormous turkeys across the road here in JR's pasture.  These were really big turkeys.  I have no idea when turkey season is, but obviously, these birds were definitely ready for eating.  I am told that wild turkey does not taste like domestic turkey though.  Didn't try taking a photo of them, but I know if JoAnne had seen them she could have gotten a great shot.

Henry Raymond
vtoutdoorguymb
: 136

« #1 : October 03, 2011, 09:13:33 PM »

You're right Henry, they definitely do NOT taste like regular turkey. (Mostly because these are hormone, antibiotic free, and genetically natural. lol)

I have only had it a couple times, but in my experience you have to eat it as soon as it is cooked (like, directly out of the pan) because if it cools at all, it turns into some inedible blob of tasteless, chewy meat. All dark meat too, for those who only like white meat that's a problem.

I would hunt turkeys for beards and spurs, but would probably give the meat away....
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #2 : October 04, 2011, 05:06:32 AM »

in my experience you have to eat it as soon as it is cooked (like, directly out of the pan) because if it cools at all, it turns into some inedible blob of tasteless, chewy meat.

you sure are right there!!! left over wild turkey sandwiches are not that great thats for sure.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #3 : October 05, 2011, 11:35:19 AM »

When I was in college, my friend got a big turkey up in Johnson and he cleaned it at my parents house.  He cooked it up at school and we all made fixings to go with it.  I had no idea until he cut it that it was all dark meat and does it taste different!  Needless to say I ate the fixings instead :-)

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: