Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 05:25:03 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  JoAnne Captures Another Barn Being Torn Down
« previous next »
: [1]
: JoAnne Captures Another Barn Being Torn Down  ( 3660 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 05, 2011, 07:41:56 PM »

Hi Henry,
I noticed today that this barn had fallen.
It is  at the old 'Bushey Brothers' farm at the intersection of Rte 117 and North Williston Rd.
I remember it being the 1st million dollar property in the area many, many years ago.
It looked like a fairly recent event.

Jo

JoAnne, If I am thinking of the same barn on River Road, I seemed to remember when we were going by there to go to Bellows Falls several years ago that someone appeared to be tearing it down for the old timbers in it.  They weren't very speedy at it.  I believe you are talking about the River Road that takes you from IBM to Richmond at the Intersection that always used to flood that took you to Williston.  Maybe one of the recent high winds knocked it over with some of the braces gone.  Don't go by there very often now, so I definitely could be wrong and I couldn't find any thing by Googling Bushey Bros Farm in North Williston.

Henry Raymond
Razzle Dazzle

« #1 : March 05, 2011, 08:36:55 PM »

I go by there every day.
It fell a couple week ends ago when we had high winds.  It was very heavy with snow and the winds finished it off. 
The day after it fell, the snow all around it was black...must of come down very fast and blew out dirt from with-in.
Dick Brown
: 414

« #2 : March 05, 2011, 08:49:38 PM »

Just a piece of trivia which has nothing to do with the barn falling down.....In the fall of 1966 , the oldest Bushey son, Virgil , scored all the goals for Essex Junction's
soccer team's 3 post-season wins when they won the Division I State Championship. Virgil was a good athlete and I tried to convince him to play basketball for me during the winter , but they had a huge herd to take care of and he couldn't take the necessary time off.  Good family , good values. Don't know where they are now , though.
lena6
: 357

« #3 : March 06, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »

I went to Lowe's shortly after it opened and Virgil was working there.  Use to own a bar in Barton.
Formerflatlander
: 67

« #4 : March 06, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »

Both Virgil and Dale work at Lowe's on Shelburne Rd.  Great guys to work with, very down to earth.  I'll ask Virgil about his days of soccer glory when I see him next.
« : March 06, 2011, 06:22:02 PM Formerflatlander »
wwiihistory
: 56

« #5 : March 07, 2011, 09:32:03 AM »

I drive home everyday from the airport via Williston & sand hill road Essex. For years I have been driving towards Rt117 staring at this barn knowing it's going to collapse someday and hoping I get to witness it. Saw it down a few weeks ago....oh well.

The owner was kind enough to either give me or sell me ( forget now ) some old boards years ago to build a bat house.
Dick Brown
: 414

« #6 : March 07, 2011, 06:58:05 PM »

Thanks , Lena and " formerflatlander "  for the info .   I haven't Virgil since he graduated from EJHS in 1967 . I had him in my Sociology Class his senior year ( when he was one of the star players on that great soccer team coached by Tim Williams ) and really appreciated his work ethic and pleasant , humble attitude. If you see him again , please remember me to him .
: [1]  
« previous next »
: