Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:19:35 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Another Phone Scam
« previous next »
: [1]
: Another Phone Scam  ( 2851 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 30, 2014, 11:10:22 AM »

Good Morning Henry - hope you're doing well and that you are having a great Summer.

I thought I'd pass along the following for awareness.

My wife & I have been getting several phone calls to our home number from some organization supposedly claiming that their WINDOWS SERVERS are getting numerous virus alerts from our home computers.

Calls are clearly coming from a Call Center (with other background talk going on), and the fellow talking to me clearly has a Middle-Eastern accent.  My wife usually just hangs up on them right away.  I let the fellow go on for a while before I unleashed with a commentary on his ethics and his ancestry, before I hung up.

You might want to let people know that it they get someone on the phone claiming to be from the "Windows Technical Center" or something to that effect, that they are likely a SCAM, and I'd be willing to bet that if the conversation was allowed to continue, they'd try to get your password, or Credit Card or Bank Account info.

Please pass along as you see appropriate.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : July 30, 2014, 12:48:19 PM »

Henry - I sent this note out to a number of people on my distribution list, and got back a number of replies - saying that they too had been getting similar phone calls.

The caller will try to scare you into thinking that your personal computer is flooding their servers with a malicious virus.  They will try to direct you to a website which will allow them to remotely control your computer. A variation is that they will offer to clean the virus and restore your files if you will provide your credit card or bank information.  They'll also try to get passwords. 

Apparently this phone scam has been going on for well over a month, but has only recently been happening that we've been getting the phone calls.  Others who have written me, say that this scam has been going on much longer.  Best not to engage them at all and hang up on them.

Pass along if you feel appropriate.

Henry Raymond
nhibbard
: 393

« #2 : July 30, 2014, 02:43:53 PM »

That's an interesting one since they wouldn't be able to tie your IP address to your phone number. It is also illegal for anyone to remotely scan your computer and fix it so I'm not sure how they'd get virus alerts.

It's a clever scam but no one is ever going to proactively call you about your computer. Your ISP would sooner terminate your service than call you about your computer.They're the only ones who can easily tie and IP address to a phone number to call.
mirjo
: 785

« #3 : July 30, 2014, 03:29:14 PM »

Insert Quote
That's an interesting one since they wouldn't be able to tie your IP address to your phone number. It is also illegal for anyone to remotely scan your computer and fix it so I'm not sure how they'd get virus alerts.
It's a clever scam but no one is ever going to proactively call you about your computer. Your ISP would sooner terminate your service than call you about your computer.They're the only ones who can easily tie and IP address to a phone number to call.

I would say that's why it's a scam. Most people don't know that info and even if they did, would have to think about it for a minute or so while on the phone with these hucksters, before it would register.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1]  
« previous next »
: