Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:50:25 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Legendary WCAX Weatherman Dead At Age 90
« previous next »
: [1]
: Legendary WCAX Weatherman Dead At Age 90  ( 8235 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 26, 2011, 07:24:16 AM »

Stuart Hall, the legendary WCAX Weatherman who started at Channel 3 back in 1954 is dead at age 90.  Stuart was the weatherman for years and as a Vermonter who is always interested in the weather, I never missed watching the weather on channel 3 with Stuart Hall.  I don't believe I ever saw him in person, but from some of the people who visited the Channel 3 studio, back in the days when Stuart was there, I remember them saying he was a really short little man.  Below is the story about Stuart Hall who died yesterday:

http://www.wcax.com/story/15545380/legendary-wcax-weatherman-dead-at-90

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #1 : September 26, 2011, 08:26:13 AM »

Before he retired, if you asked any real Vermonter what the weather was supposed to be, the first four words out of their mouths would be, "Well, Stuart Hall says.....".

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Dick Brown
: 414

« #2 : September 26, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »

Henry & Mike......I join you in remembering Stuart Hall's days at WCAX as do many others who read this posting this morning I'm sure . Didn't he also have a mid-day show that Tony Adams took over for him when he  ( Stuart ) retired ???   Can't remember the name .
Henry
Administrator

« #3 : September 26, 2011, 10:46:20 AM »

I can't remember whether he did Across The Fence or not - He has a full obituary coming out tomorrow I believe.  Tony Adams is still active at FAHC doing volunteer work - I saw him there a while back when either Maryann or Mary Kay was in outpatient surgery.

Henry Raymond
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #4 : September 26, 2011, 11:26:54 AM »

Stuart Hall was "The Weather Man" as a kid growing up!  I remember going on a field trip to WCAX to watch the noon news and Across the Fence.  Us kids were all in awe of Stuart Hall. But I do rememeber being as tall as him and I was in like 3rd or 4th grade at the time :-). He came and spoke with all of us and answered any questions we had about the weather forecast.

Like Mike said "Well Stuart Hall says", was definitely a common phrase here as well.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
dmgeno
: 1

« #5 : September 26, 2011, 07:42:46 PM »

That's a familiar name I haven't heard in years.  Anyone remember Richard Gallagher?  He visited our 4th grade class at Wilder Elementary schools years back.  I also remember Claudia Reynolds who did the 11:00 PM weather back in the early eighties.  Ah, the good old days of growing up in Fairfax!
MikeF9
: 1994

« #6 : September 26, 2011, 10:44:52 PM »

Claudia Reynolds. Hubba hubba. Can a guy say that about a female? I think she eventually moved to North Carolina.
Here's another name. Nancy Smith. Used to do the Saturday 6pm weather. Now lives in Fairfax, part time and she comes to Historical Society meetings once in a while.

And speaking of local talent, not to be disrespectful to Stuart Hall by jacking this thread, but........

Does anyone remember Tabitha Soren when she used to do the News for TV22? She eventually went to NBC and was big on MTV for a while.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator

« #7 : September 27, 2011, 06:28:43 AM »

It was interesting to listen to Stuart's co-workers talking about him and that they never learned that he could sing until his retirement party - According to his obituary, that is how he got his start in television:

STUART BUTLER HALL SOUTH BURLINGTON - Stuart Butler Hall, of South Burlington, passed away quietly on Sept. 25, 2011, at the Arbors in Shelburne. He was 90. He was born on Feb. 26, 1921, in Taunton, Mass. to William and Pauline (Butler) Hallahan. Stuart served in the U.S. Navy during World War II, in the South Pacific area, on the Battle Cruiser Alaska. Following the service, his main interest was in radio and television. He studied Broadcast Management and Technology at Northeastern University in Boston, Mass. In 1948, he married his high school sweetheart, Helen (Dixie) Stuart, of Canton, Mass. He began his broadcasting career at radio station WJDA in Quincy, Mass. and WHIT in New Bern, N.C. His first television appearance was in April 1949, as a contestant on the Arthur Godfrey Talent Scout program. He was declared a winner that week and appeared on subsequent programs. At the time he was also the lead singer with "Stuart Hall and his Orchestra," in the greater Boston area. In 1954, he was offered the position of Assistant Production Manager at WCAX-TV in Burlington. He also became the Channel 3 weatherman, which he loved from the start. He was promoted to Production Manager in 1957 and Vice President of Production in 1972. What he cherished most about his job was his viewers and the wonderful letters he received from them daily. Stuart served for a number of years on the Board of Trustees of the South Burlington Chapter of the Citizen's Scholarship Foundation of America, and also of the South Burlington Kiwanis Club. He was a longtime member of the choir at the Catholic Center at UVM. He was also a volunteer worker at the Center for the Study of Aging at UVM. He was honored in 1990 as the Broadcaster of the Year by the Vermont Association of Broadcasters. He was further honored in 1994 by the prestigious Fairbanks Award for his dedication to environmental understanding and appreciation. On his retirement program, Jan. 12, 1990, he thanked his viewers for the many good wishes he received. He was completely surprised to see Governor Madeline Kunin step up beside him and proclaimed that the twelfth day of Jan. 1990, was Stuart Hall Day in the state of Vermont. Stuart loved a good snowstorm and the skiing it brought along with it. Hot summer days were often spent sailing, playing tennis or bicycling. Stuart is survived by his wife of 63 years, Helen; his daughter, Elizabeth (Sib) Gurney and her husband, Paul, and her daughters, Sarah and Jessica; his son, Chris Hall and his wife, Susan, and their children, Evan and Andrew; a niece, Donna Nelson; a nephew, David Reed; and several cousins. The family wishes to thank Dr. Jennifer Gilwee, the VNA Hospice Program and a special thank you to the staff at The Arbors in Shelburne. In accordance to Stuart's wishes, there will be no visiting hours. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Friday, Sept. 30, 2011, at 10:30 a.m. at St. Catherine's Church in Shelburne. A reception following the service will be announced at the church. Arrangements by Ready Funeral & Cremation Services. To send online condolences, please visit www.readyfuneral.com. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to The VT Alzheimer's Association , 300 Cornerstone Drive, Williston, VT 05495.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: