Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:36:40 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Article 7
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Article 7  ( 16799 )
roadkill
: 80

« : February 09, 2010, 06:16:31 PM »

I was wondering if their are any drawings, plans, artist renditions of the Pavillion and Restroom facility with storage to be built at the Parks and Rec Dept land. Where are they going to be built? and are their any estimated maintenance costs associated with these 2 buildings? Article 7 doesnt consist of a dollar ammount, Does this mean that we are voting for them to be built at no expense to the tax payer? Will any of this information be availiable prior to Town meeting day?
katrinaantonovich
: 162

« #1 : February 09, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »

Hello!
I have some drawings and plans, as well as maps to the location and I've gathered data on the maintenance costs,As explained in early post - I'm hoping it will not cost the tax payers anything in the end, but we need to have some of the money 1st for one of the reimbursable grants.  I'm pulling a whole presentation together for town meeting day, I hope to have it finished by mid-week next week and will post it and or e-mail it to people. E-mail me if you have specific questions so I can include the answers in my presentation and/or e-mail you the answers. Katrina
e-mail:fairfaxparksandrec@yahoo.com
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : February 09, 2010, 08:05:11 PM »

Below is Article 7:

ARTICLE 7      To see if the voters of the Town of Fairfax will authorize the building of a pavilion with
         concession area and a restroom facility with storage in the Community Recreation
         Park.

Did I miss something here?  Where is the money coming from to build it?  Are we voting on this some other place?  Who will maintain it?  Who will pay to maintain it?  Who would have the answers on this??

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : February 09, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »

I guess we were both posting at the same time.  Sorry about that Katrina, but I am hearing questions on this from people not registered who prefer not to post and are hoping to get some answers here.

Henry Raymond
roadkill

« #4 : February 09, 2010, 08:28:53 PM »

How much "1st time money" and Why is this not included in the Article?
Mummy
: 280

« #5 : February 09, 2010, 08:56:09 PM »

Oh come on ... It's for the kids!

Just vote Yes -  to whatever they ask for ... what makes you ask such a question?

Remember - It's for the kids!
katrinaantonovich

« #6 : February 09, 2010, 11:36:41 PM »

I will have all the answers posted soon and I have most of them now. I have a sick kid and a very busy next few days. I will have all the information ready before town meeting. Please be patient and thank you and again - Please e-mail me questions, then I can have all the answers ready for everyone.
DrewCrash
: 104

« #7 : February 10, 2010, 06:54:14 PM »

Just vote Yes -  to whatever they ask for ... what makes you ask such a question?

Are your comments intended to be sarcastic or for real? I read it both ways.

Serious question though to whom ever could answer it; how many people attend these sporting events? What is the intended return on investment? (ROI)
MR32

« #8 : February 11, 2010, 07:59:49 AM »

I would say I have to support the funding for a few reasons, 1) it will be paided back, 2) Building a common space for everyone to use is essential for building a sense of community here in Fairfax, 3) It encourages people to engage in physical fitness, 4) it is an excellent excuse to go out of your yard and enjoy nature, 5) its progress towards making outown more dynamic, 6) it will employ people, 7) it will possibly bring in tourists, more and more foot traffic to our local shops, 8) it makes the town  even better.

Yes there is a cost, but all change and development does, dollar for dollar this is a great investment. - yes I am a penny pincher, and I don't want to see a bond being asked for to fund it, or our taxes going up. But seeing as the money is to be used up front, and if we can get it paid back....perhaps we can channel money from an over inflated budget to pay for, god only knows there are plenty of those!
HayesFXFD17
: 125

« #9 : February 11, 2010, 08:45:18 AM »

As I read article seven in its exact quoted context I can’t help but think that is a zoning question more than a taxpayer approval issue.  This is based simply on the fact that the article does not present itself with any financial burden to the taxpayers as written.  I am very interested in hearing about any underlying funding issues that may be presented, in the fact that a “reimbursable grant” is being sought. 

The seeking of grants is commendable and as the primary grant writer for the fire department I can appreciate the time and commitment it takes to undertake such as process inundated with loopholes and red tape and realization that all the hard work may be for nothing if the grant is denied.  From past experience the amount requested needs to be translucent in the article presented otherwise there may be much discussion and possible amendments to obtain the voter approval. 

As my family and I frequent the recreation path I appreciate all the hard work and dedication it has taken to achieve what we have today and thank those for their commitment in making a vision grow into a reality.
katrinaantonovich

« #10 : February 11, 2010, 09:28:56 AM »

Again I am working all on the specifics, but I wanted to let everyone know that one of the reasons we don't have a cost on article 7 was at the time we were gathering signatures we did not have a cost estimate and we also did not know about the grants we had applied for. As of now - we have already received one of them - for $15,000.  Again, I ask, please with any questions: e-mail me at fairfaxparksandrec@yahoo.com so I can include the answers in my presentation.
Terri Santee
: 77

« #11 : February 11, 2010, 09:47:23 AM »

I was curious if it will be on town water and sewer?
slpott
: 457

« #12 : February 11, 2010, 11:31:37 AM »

In my opinion, it will be wonderful to have an area in town that we can have lots of different things there. We could posibly rent the space for weddings, fundraisers, family reunions etc. I know I would use it for many things. Fairfax is on its way to being a pretty quaint place to live. I like it.
roadkill

« #13 : February 11, 2010, 02:52:43 PM »

My name is Gary Stewart. "Roadkill" was a call sign given to me prior to retiring from the Army. I am not hiding behind a name on a computer. I really enjoy Henrys site, visit it daily, and  am very gratefull that our community has such a forum and up to this point have always chose to be a member not a player.
    To "Mummy", I never said how I was voting on this Article. Secondly to answer "How can I ask this question?" I was not the first to ask it. gpdvt did so on January 21st and the Parks and Rec Director responded on the 22nd that the numbers were almost ready and will be posted soon. "Warned item for Rec Dept needs signatures" dated January 19th.
     I believe in Responsible Government, Responsible spending and in "Mummys" case responsible voting. This however is a right and anyone can vote any way they want.

I was the Parks and Rec Depts groundskeeper and am still currently the groundskeeper at school. I have been involved with this piece of property in one way or the other for the past 11 years since returning "Home" after retiring from the Army. I know all about graphitti, vandalism and the most efficient way to get a picnic table out of the river. ( Donald Pigeon's back hoe) This is a dynamic piece of property and I agree with MR32, SPLOTT and what Justin Hayes had to say. I regularly saw Justin and his family while working there.

To me its simple, If you cannot afford to maintain it, Don't build it.  Maintenance costs never decrease. Our Town has beautifull sidewalks half the year. Here is a case of building something you can't afford to maintain.  Kids walk down the side of the road in the winter when we need the sidewalks the most.

I believe in making informed decisions and that is impossible if the information is not availiable. This is an Australlian ballet item and to me that means the Selectboard is obligated to inform ALL 2,948 registers voters  in Fairfax about this Article "If money is involved". I hear the Town report is being mailed out tomorrow.

Mummy
: 280

« #14 : February 11, 2010, 06:40:29 PM »

Re: Article 7
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 08:56:09 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are your comments intended to be sarcastic or for real? I read it both ways.

Serious question though to whom ever could answer it; how many people attend these sporting events? What is the intended return on investment? (ROI)

DrewCrash - It is just that a comment - I cannot tell you how to think or what to think - That is up to you!  It is what it is, it is for the kids and it is FREE money that someone worked hard to get - Why wouldn't you vote YES?   

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: