Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 12:14:29 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  With Economy Community Suppers, Breakfasts, Suppers Popular
« previous next »
: [1]
: With Economy Community Suppers, Breakfasts, Suppers Popular  ( 3847 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 02, 2009, 09:56:46 AM »

Fortunately most of the dinners or suppers around here have take-outs, so Maryann and I usually try to take advantage of that.  For the most part, many of these events think about the costs and are not out to make big profits.  A number of these are still going for $8 with special rates for children under 12 and usually free for children under 6.  Also large families are taken into consideration with a maximum for the immediate family of $30.  Also, one thing that is often overlooked is the tax and tips part that goes with going out to dinner that can add considerably to costs.

One particular group that I always try to support is The Milton Knights of Columbus.  I went over Saturday night where they had Roast Pork Loin with mashed potatoes & gravy, vegetables, applesauce, beverage and a choice of carrot cake or white cake.  Pretty nice meal for $8 for adults.  Many of the other local groups have raised their prices to $10.  Actually saw a spaghetti dinner for $10 bucks which I personally thought was a bit much, as you can usually get it in a restaurant for less than that.

I clipped the following off a news bulletin:

Community suppers and breakfasts across the state (NH) are becoming increasingly popular in this economy, organizers say.

Crowds now line up for steaming kettles of baked beans, sliced ham on a wooden carving board and corn bread in wicker baskets. Volunteers fill up the dessert tables with slices of homemade pie, brownies and coffee.

A four-course, home-cooked meal for a family of four costs about $25. Adults pay on average just $7 a person. Children are often charged less or get to eat free.

Neighbors and friends catch up, lingering over styrofoam cups of hot coffee. Instead of the money going to KFC or McDonald's, it's going to the Knights of Columbus, the Legion and churches from Nashua to Whitefield. Proceeds provide for charitable work in the community.

Henry Raymond
Sue W.
: 167

« #1 : March 02, 2009, 12:07:11 PM »

These dinners are great!  I took my parents, who live in Georgia, to the United Church's dinner this past fall.  They don't really know too many people in Fairfax, but discovered that they did end up knowing the couple that shared our table.  it was nice for them to visit.  They are a great value in more than one way! 

I was impressed at how efficient the dinner was run.  Everyone seemed to know what their job was.  The food was delicious too!  I look forward to taking my parents out again to one of these dinners!
mirjo
: 785

« #2 : March 21, 2009, 03:20:21 AM »

My mother, who lives in Essex frequents such dinners all over the area. In her opinion, the price is right, the food is excellent, and the money is usually for a good cause!

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1]  
« previous next »
: