Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:44:49 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Do we need Conception Day In Vermont??
« previous next »
: [1]
: Do we need Conception Day In Vermont??  ( 3681 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 23, 2008, 09:44:43 AM »

I think not, but Emerson Lynn, Editor of The St. Albans Messenger had an interesting editorial on the subject of Vermont's Birth to Death Rate Ratio:

Tlhe death rate in Russia exceeds the birthrate, which has prompted a demographic "crisis" such that some provinces have proposed creative measures such as an annual "conception day."   For those who succeed, prizes are included - over and above that bundle of joy.

Vermont had considerable success with its tax-forgiveness holiday in July, perhaps we should follow the Russian example and figure out how to boost our own demographic decline.  A cloudy November day might work. Pick a day.

According to the most recent census report made public this week, Vermont's birth rate is the nation's lowest and about a third lower than the national average. Only New Hampshire has a lower rate.

The reasons, according to the demographers, are two-fold: our population is 98 percent'lily-white, and the women here are more highly educated than elsewhere. In other words, white, well-educated women have fewer children than their counterparts.

And we address that how?

It is an issue. Employers have problems now attracting enough workers to meet their needs. As the workforce ages, the problems will compound. Even the most successful "conception day" will not alleviate their concerns for another two decades.

We might have to extend that day, for a week. Instructions included.

There are some who think this population decline is just what is needed. Fewer people means less pressure on the environment, and, generally _ speaking, less pressure in ail respects: smaller schools, smaller towns, smaller everything.

The challenge, of course, is that no one has yet discovered how to make people happy with the drop in living standards that accompanies such decline. Having less in Vermont doesn't translate here, or elsewhere If we decline as others grow, we are still affected [dramatically] by their prosperity and our lack thereof.

That's a nonstarter on almost all fronts, except, perhaps, for the idle rich who clip coupons and feel no compunction to be part of anything except a quaint little village and a spot of land.

It's probably prudent to maintain the communication necessary to inform Vermonters of the demographic challenges ahead.  But it's difficult to envision any program - no matter how creative - that will alter these trends. Our ethnic mix will remain as is, and it seems a little foolish to consider a less educated, populace as an advantage going forward.

In the moment, we have but two options;  First, do all that we can to improve the state's business climate so that others view us as a profitable place to do business. Vermont needs to be seen as a place for opportunity -,the key to attracting youth from places beyond Vermont.  Second, we must continue to push to make Vermont more affordable. The perceived lack of  lack of opportunity and high costs, are a deadly duo for those looking for a place to call home – and to raise a family.

By Emerson Lynn

Henry Raymond
dearon
: 233

« #1 : August 27, 2008, 10:45:30 AM »

Good article, and I can certainly see why more and more people are chosing not to bring anyone else into this world.  Economics is just a small part of this.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: