Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 10:01:30 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Most Floridians Are Back To Greet The Snow Flurries
« previous next »
: [1]
: Most Floridians Are Back To Greet The Snow Flurries  ( 1756 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 21, 2011, 08:21:46 AM »

To the best of my knowledge, most of our residents that go South for the winter are back.  Unfortunately for the last week or so, you have actually needed your winter jacket.  I hired MollyD's husband to clear the debris away from the side of the road, however, his powerbroom went on the fritz, so he only spent about 20 minutes at it.  Hopefully he will get back next week as the long range forecast shows the temperature going up to around 70 degrees.

I've got my John Deere Rider started so that is all set to go.  Back when I was gardening, always used to plant my peas on the 15th of April.  Noticed Ron Gates Garden still has snow on it, so I guess this would not have happened at his garden this year.  We still have some pretty good sized snow banks in the shady areas.

Something I hadn't heard before from some of the local sugarmakers is that they were actually getting sick of sugaring.  Most that I spoke to said they had made a better crop than most years, although even though the trees do not seem to be budded here in my front yard, they said the last they boiled did not meet their standards, thus that was the end for them.

Hardly seems possible, but the first of May is only a week away, even though if you step outside in your shirt sleeves you will get a rude awakening - Happy Spring Everybody

Henry Raymond
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #1 : April 21, 2011, 10:21:31 AM »

We've only got two things in the garden at the moment; garlic (which stays in the ground over the winter), and onions which were planted a couple weekends ago.  I noticed a few tiny leaves on one raspberry plant, but that's it at this point.  Next week is looking much more springlike, with temps getting into the 60s most days.  It's about time!  Maybe a few more plants will venture to start putting out leaves next week.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: