Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 09:55:53 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Check Out Photos Of This Retiree's Hobby
« previous next »
: [1]
: Check Out Photos Of This Retiree's Hobby  ( 3186 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 06, 2007, 06:57:21 PM »

Hi All,

Lifelong Fairfax resident Steve Ratte has enjoyed this hobby for the past twelve years.  He has cross pollinated Iris plants, then looks forward to see what he has created the next spring:

Steve said he has no idea what colors will turn up

Right up front in the center you will see one Iris Steve is particularly proud of -- It looks Black, but Steve says it really is a dark blue

Steve kneels near another Iris bed - Their son Michael constructed the raised bed for him a while back

I was kind of curious as to just how he did this.  He showed me how with a small paint brush he transfers pollen from one plant to another, then has to wait until the next year to see the results.

Steve said, "It is nearly peaked with a variety of colors from orange to black to tan.  There are a number of my cross pollinated plants that are blossoming for the first time with some interesting colors.   Kind of exciting to see what colors develop.

This year the weather has not been helpful with all the rain. . .

This 12 Yr. old hobby helps me to "think spring" during the winter months!!"
« : June 07, 2007, 06:52:54 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Suzy
: 429

« #1 : June 07, 2007, 06:30:58 AM »

Awesome!  Love, Suzy
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #2 : June 07, 2007, 02:12:28 PM »

What a splendid array of beautiful irises, Steve!  Thank you for sharing the beauty of creation.
Rev. Elizabeth
: [1]  
« previous next »
: