Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 12:10:58 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Do You Remember The Old Underhill Ski Bowl??
« previous next »
: [1]
: Do You Remember The Old Underhill Ski Bowl??  ( 3392 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 02, 2007, 08:58:01 AM »

Hi All,

Recently there have been some reports of youngsters sliding and skiing on Hardack in St. Albans, a long time winter recreational spot for young and old.

Got a note from a friend of mine who told me:

“When I was a young squirt in my teens I was a decent  ski bum and sailed down the slopes of the Underhill Ski  Bowl and acted as the Ski Patrol. Of course it was for free!

Twice I transported (in my mother's car) a guy and gal who had broken their arms to the Fanny Allen hospital. In those days everyone was honest and appreciative of my efforts.

Thinking back on lack of insurance and the possibility of lawsuits, I could have gotten into expensive trouble.”

I wrote Don back:

“Gee!! I went over to the Underhill Ski Bowl the first time I went skiing -- Went over with a friend of mine -- After about 25 or 30 tries of grabbing on to that rope to pull myself up the hill and falling after being pulled several feet and being dragged on my belly up the hill with people screaming "Let Go, Let Go," I finally gave up.  Just imagine if I had actually made it to the top of the hill -- I might have been another passenger in your Mom's car.  You apparently weren't there then as I knew you at that time.

Its interesting how things have changed over the years.  My friend Don, mentioned insurance and if I remember right, there was some concern about continuing with the Hardack operation in St. Albans for that same reason as they were afraid they might get sued if a child got hurt sliding or skiing up there.  Not really sure how they did resolve that.

By the way, the Underhill Ski Bowl is still there, although no skiing done now.  Thought I would check out the Internet and see if they had anything on it and sure enough, a very nice story along with some photos. 

Maybe no one in this area remembers much about it as Smuggs started up about 50 or so years ago and that is only a very short distance from Fairfax and had much more to offer.

If you would like to read a story and see some pictures of the old Underhill Ski Bowl, click on the following link:

(Interestingly enough there was a trick to getting up the hill on that rope tow which is explained in the link -- I think, just maybe my friends enjoyed seeing me pulled on my belly up the hill with skis flopping in the air)

Have a great day[/b]
« : March 02, 2007, 09:04:36 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Suzy
: 429

« #1 : March 03, 2007, 09:50:13 AM »

Does anyone remember the old Brownell Ski area?  Old IBM'ers probably do...  I think it was in St. George or somewhere near Williston.  I remember going there when I was around four or five years old. That would have been 1969 or 1970.
Suzy
: [1]  
« previous next »
: