Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:47:11 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  COUPLE WILL REMEMBER BFA-FAIRFAX STUDENTS
« previous next »
: [1]
: COUPLE WILL REMEMBER BFA-FAIRFAX STUDENTS  ( 2101 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 01, 2005, 08:48:13 AM »

THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE AND PHOTO APPEARED IN THE TUESDAY, MAY 31 EDITION OF THE ST. ALBANS MESSENGER

Couple will remember BFA-Fairfax students
School custodians ready for retirement

By EMILY WILLS - Messenger Correspondent

FAIRFAX — Reggie and Pat Broe may seem like the average married couple ready to embark on a new phase of their life.

What makes them unique is where they have worked, and for how long.

The Broes have been custodians at Bellows Free Academy, Fairfax for a combined 53 years. They have seen six principals come and go, and have watched countless students grow and change in the distinctive environment of a K-12 school.

Reggie began working at BFA in 1989. Before that he was a truck driver, but he truly enjoyed his transition to maintenance work.

During his time at BFA, new middle and elementary schools were built and many other changes have taken place. One thing that has remained the same is Reggie's fondness for the students and teachers.

"I really enjoyed all the faculty. It was fun to pick on them. And I enjoyed 98 percent of the students," he said jokingly. "It was nice to be able to do something different everyday."

One of his fondest memories is of the BFA senior class that graduated 10 years ago. Reggie would clean after school, only to be interrupted by student who wanted to play.

"These kids would invent a game, like making a ball bounce three times before landing it on a window ledge," Reggie said. "They would practice any time they could during the day, "and then bet me quarters that I couldn't beat them at their own game."

One of the students who used to challenge Reggie to these matches was Sara Daniels, a BFA
Fairfax graduate who now teaches English in the high school.

"Those games were really fun," Reggie said., "but I didn't win too often."

Pat Broe has worked at Fairfax more than twice as long as her husband.    She started in 1967,
working for 18 years in the kitchen before she switched to custodial services.

"I really love being around the kids every day," Pat said. She has fond memories of when she would work evenings and have a chance to spend time with students after school.

"They would come into the bathroom while I was cleaning and sit down on the floor to talk to me. They would tell me their problems. It was really nice."

Sixteen years ago, when Reggie began working at BFA, Pat started to work nights with him. For the past six years, they have switched and worked the day shift together.

Tom Walsh, Fairfax middle School principal, said the Broes' departure will be felt at the school.

"The loss of Pat and Reggie will befeltdeeplybystudents, staff and the community, not only for keeping the school safe and orderly, but also for always having a kind word and smile for those around
them. They always went above and beyond, and they will be greatly missed."

After heart surgery this spring, Reggie retired in mid-April. Pat will finish out this year and retire as summer vacation begins. Then they will spend their free time together and with their family enjoying life.

The Broes have two children, Donna Gillespie who is married to Pat Gillespie, and Joyce Jutras, whose husband is Joe Jutras.

"We do everything with each other," Pat said. "We live with each other. We work with each other. We play golf with each other."
And, as is very obvious to anyone who has ever been around him or her, they love each other.
[/i]

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: