Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 09:23:17 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  A New Vermont Passport Agency Opening Today In St. Albans
« previous next »
: [1]
: A New Vermont Passport Agency Opening Today In St. Albans  ( 7449 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 04, 2011, 07:32:50 AM »

A new Vermont Passport Agency will open today in St. Albans.

The center will issue passport books and cards on-site, making it easier for Vermonters to cross the Canadian border.

The agency will be staffed by 20 workers and is expected to issue 15,000 passports in its first year. It was built thanks to more than $2 million in funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

An official ribbon cutting will be held today at 2:00 at the former post office building on South Main Street.

Henry Raymond
Kathleen
: 167

« #1 : March 04, 2011, 09:04:51 AM »

You should know that the ribbon cutting ceremony is "by invitation only"  I work on the 2nd floor at CBP and only a select few (such as the port director) were invited to attend.  They've blocked off the front of the building for the Senator and blocked off Stebbins Street next to the building for security purposes.
trussell
: 870

« #2 : March 04, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »

This is good news for me, since I've enver had a passport and need to get one for work.  Does anyone know, if I just walk in will they be able to take pictures and everything?

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Papi
: 66

« #3 : March 04, 2011, 11:47:49 AM »

It's par for the course Kathleen...  We can send our honor guard bagpiper for the ceremony but no invites for the rest of us.....!
Kathleen

« #4 : March 04, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »

It's par for the course Kathleen...  We can send our honor guard bagpiper for the ceremony but no invites for the rest of us.....!

Papi, maybe we'll all get invited to have a private tour of the place.  All I know is we spent the last year up here listening to the drilling and hammering and I think we should at least get to see the place.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #5 : March 04, 2011, 12:08:37 PM »

Kathy, is it Leahy that is going to be there?  I was hoping I would see you, but won't see if I can find you in what looks like it might be a small crowd.

Henry Raymond
Papi

« #6 : March 04, 2011, 12:11:20 PM »

Glad it's my day off today Kathleen!   I wonder if the parking enforcer will be chalking tires and giving out tickets to the honored guests....
Kathleen

« #7 : March 04, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »

Henry, I do believe its Senator Leahy doing the ribbon cutting as he was influential in getting the passport office here to begin with.  Around here, all they say is "the Senator". 

Papi, It would be rather funny if the parking police tagged them; but I doubt it because it was the police dept that barricaded the parking places to begin with and its 2-1/2 hr parking and doubt they'll be here longer than that.
Shadylane08
: 125

« #8 : March 04, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »

Trussell, I don't know how this new facility works but I know when I got my passport a year or two ago at the colchester town clerk we filled out the paperwork before we went, walked in wrote the checks, they took our pictures, and we had our passports in the mail in like 10days or something like that.  It was a really easy process.

I've have to imagine that this place being an actual passport agency that they'll take your picture and everything there.
trussell
: 870

« #9 : March 04, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »

Sounds good, Shady- Although I remembered today that my license expires tomorrow so I'm going to get an enhanced one so I can at least go to Canada.  I'll be sure to report back here when I get my passport though :)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #10 : March 05, 2011, 12:31:38 AM »

Why are people disappointed at not being able to attend a ribbon-cutting ceremony for a passport office?  That does not sound fun or interesting in any way at all.  Bureaucracy groupies? ;)

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #11 : March 05, 2011, 05:16:40 AM »

so they wont get thier free government money
Counselor
: 55

« #12 : March 05, 2011, 07:17:50 AM »

Dont forget your birth certificate. They will take it and mail it in with the passport and you will get it back separately from your actual passport.
Papi

« #13 : March 05, 2011, 11:06:41 AM »

Gamingweasel and Rod  (that sounds like a good band name),

I wish it was about free govt money.  Definitely not a bureaucracy groupie...  In fact as a govt employee,  there's no one who detests bureaucracy more.  The point is that senior managers (who perform the least amount of work) once again party while others work....  Weasel and Rod, is this how you want your tax $ spent?
Kathleen

« #14 : March 08, 2011, 12:29:31 PM »

It's not about attending the ribbon cutting ceremony, its because I just spent the last year listening to hammering and drilling, most times so loud that we couldn't answer our phones or even talk with our co-workers, so it would be nice to see what all the commotion turned into.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: