Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 01:05:07 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  High Speed Internet Expansion
« previous next »
: [1]
: High Speed Internet Expansion  ( 6507 )
kobelsem

« : February 04, 2008, 04:08:56 PM »

Has anyone heard any information on the expansion of High Speed Internet in our area? I have had numerous conversations with Verizon, SurfGlobal and Comcast with no real results (when, where, etc.). I was just wondering if anyone has had any better luck.
trussell
: 870

« #1 : February 04, 2008, 10:19:46 PM »

When I talked to Verizon customer service at the begining of 2007, I was told that they would need to replace the lines in the northern end of town (rte 104 area) to enable us to get DSL- and they had no plans to do that.  We've since gotten rid of our landline and gone with cell phones only (and saved a lot of money).  GlobalNet tells me they have a signal available to me but I have not signed up yet because of the need to purchase $150 worth of equipment.  I've also heard that Comcast will entend their lines to new areas (at no extra charge) if enough people commit to signing up for cable, internet, or phone service.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
kobelsem

« #2 : February 05, 2008, 09:03:59 AM »

Thanks for the update... I wonder, should FairPoint acquire Verizons lines, if they would be any more agressive in rolling out new services in our area.
trussell
: 870

« #3 : February 05, 2008, 11:41:11 PM »

From what I've heard, Fairpoint probably would be more agressive at expanding internet availability- But will it be affordable?  There's no point in having it available if people can't/ afford it....

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #4 : February 06, 2008, 05:54:49 PM »

Tonight's St. Albans Messenger had an article on Fiber Optics - Fairfax is mentioned - Click on the following link to read:

Henry Raymond
special ED

« #5 : February 07, 2008, 07:16:14 PM »

we had hughes net come and look at setting up a system for us what a bunch of con artists extra fee for this extra fee for that by the time all was said and done we where close to a grand,we are calling on other suppliers
roadrnnr
: 62

« #6 : March 08, 2008, 01:06:34 PM »

I talked to all three in the past few months.

Forget Verizon they are not going to expand at all here.

Comcast may in 2009 but not 2008. I talked to the guy who does the buildout and he may suggest north of 104a next year but still no guarantee's. They are all set with their buildout this year.

Surf Global keeps saying they are expanding but won't say where or when so who knows with them.

We now have Verizon wireless available here which worked great for a month and a half but right now my speed has dropped to a crawl and still trying to resolve with Verizon.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: