Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 12:18:27 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Steve Ratte Captures The Movement Of 13 Ton Beam On Bridge #10
« previous next »
: [1]
: Steve Ratte Captures The Movement Of 13 Ton Beam On Bridge #10  ( 5667 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 12, 2010, 04:56:17 PM »

The huge 13 ton beam is seen being lifted off the truck

In the following photos it is shown being swung into place

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #1 : June 12, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »

Wow! Amazing photos; amazing work being done.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #2 : June 12, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »

It is so nice when a plane comes together and everyone goes home healthy.
trussell
: 870

« #3 : June 14, 2010, 08:29:22 AM »

Wow! Those are some very impressive looking beams!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
BCota
: 59

concrete is love -- pour it on

« #4 : June 14, 2010, 08:52:58 AM »

the grinding that you see in that last pic wasn't exactly part of the plan, Mike...but it all came together in the end...should have the last of the beams placed today;  would anyone be able to get some photos when they use the excavators to place the last (2) beams?  it should be sometime this (Monday, June 14th) afternoon.

you don't go reaching into a haystack for a needle if you know there's a whole lotta needles in there
msm
: 211

« #5 : June 14, 2010, 09:45:19 AM »

Ben,

Quick Question for you ..   I noticied the Vertical Supports were not replaced.   Apparently they are in fine shape ?  i would have expected them to be replaced as well.  Especially given the 'Engineering Standards'  of the 21st Century.   The foundation looks to be build with large stones, this infrastructure is ready for another 80 - 100 years of pounding and erosion ?   Looks like the ole'  timers really knew what they were doing !!!!

Mike M

BCota
: 59

concrete is love -- pour it on

« #6 : June 14, 2010, 11:04:11 AM »

I know that there was some exploratory work done to determine the structural integrity and future durability of the abutments  -- I don't know what the exact results were but it must've been good enough b/c as you stated, they didn't replace anything...I know that a lot of work was done to re-establish good drainage (all the hole digging and re-filling that ya'll witnessed)....there are large stones but my guess is that they are mostly asthetic (probably a concrete wall behind them) b/c the beam seat as well as the footing below the stones is all concrete and visibly in very good condition...a great thing about concrete is that as long as it is hasn't been deteriorated (due to freezing/thawing or road de-icers, etc) it gets stronger every day and forever. 

you don't go reaching into a haystack for a needle if you know there's a whole lotta needles in there
msm
: 211

« #7 : June 14, 2010, 12:40:17 PM »

Ben,

Thanks for the update I was going to use words like veneer and abutments but didn't want to look like a total dope.

I had the pleasure of watching two large parking garages built outside my office window --   The village Bridge is certainly more logistically challenging prohject for a host of reasons.     The garages outsude my windown are your classic 5 story erector set-like pieces, with in an internal ramp ( center ramp design )  appeared to be a standard package.

The Village bridge totally custom, including the access for the trucks,  buildings,  aerial wires, sidewalks and the reuse of the abutments.  Very thrifty of the State Road Department,  should make our friend in Flecther,  Special  Ed very happy too !

Mike M
« : June 14, 2010, 12:42:16 PM msm »
: [1]  
« previous next »
: