Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:00:07 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Governor Shumlin signs license plate bill
« previous next »
: [1]
: Governor Shumlin signs license plate bill  ( 1948 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : May 24, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »

Gov. Shumlin signs license plate bill honoring veterans and troops
Bill would create special motorcycle plate for Vermont service men and women
RUTLAND – Gov. Peter Shumlin today signed into law a bill creating a special motorcycle license plate to honor Vermont’s veterans and active duty military personnel. The plate will feature an American flag similar to the existing U.S. Veteran recognition plate available for cars and trucks.

In addition, the bill would allow current members of the Armed Forces to obtain veteran recognition license plates.  The law previously required military members to separate from military service before becoming eligible for this recognition, which meant active military members who made a career of their service had to wait until retirement to receive a plate. 

“Vermont’s troops deserve our support and recognition,” Gov. Shumlin said. “These license plates are one way we can honor our veterans who have served our state proudly in protecting our freedom.”

Adrian “Andy” Megrath, President of the Vietnam Veterans of America Rutland Chapter, who worked for passage of the legislation creating the motorcycle plate, agreed.

“The Veterans in Vermont are proud of their service to this country,” said Megrath. “This is just another way of showing how proud we are of veterans, and how many of us there are.”

The Office of Veterans Affairs reports that the plates have been a great way to establish contact with veterans who have never applied for benefits, especially those who just returned from the Vermont National Guard’s deployment to Afghanistan. 

“Within a month of their return, about 10 percent of those who deployed came to our office to get an Afghanistan Campaign Plate,” said Clayton Clark, Director of Veterans Services.  “This gives us an opportunity to both show our appreciation and talk to them about any assistance they may need.”

The bill was signed at the office of the Rutland Chapter of the VVA.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: