Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 01:41:01 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  How prepared are you?
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: How prepared are you?  ( 9372 )
slpott
: 457

« : November 09, 2010, 06:21:19 AM »

I am reading a book that makes you wonder. " How to survive the end of the world as we know it" It talks about tactics, techniques and technologies for uncertain times. Basically if we lost electicity what would we do? What would happem just right here in Fairfax. How would we communicate to one another? Good book but scary. What do you think we would we do? Does the town have a plan?
fletchtb
: 310

« #1 : November 09, 2010, 09:28:55 AM »

What is the title of the book?
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : November 09, 2010, 09:45:24 AM »

A number of years ago, somebody hit a pole in Georgia Center that cut a fiber optic cable, which left us without phone communication with outside exchanges.  I am sure they must have done something by now, but sure is scary to think you can't call 911.  I believe that cell phones were re-routed up through New York State to get to the Islands.

Henry Raymond
al brodeur
: 216

« #3 : November 09, 2010, 11:42:46 AM »

down here in Pa we have ham radio clubs that do emergency ops a few times a year just in case something like that happens
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #4 : November 09, 2010, 01:28:34 PM »

Yes one cell phone company routed calls across the lake and then back over to be able to provide service to those who could not make calls otherwise. :-)

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
slpott

« #5 : November 09, 2010, 10:08:47 PM »

The name of the book is "How To Survive The End Of The World As We Know It. James Wesley, Rawles, Founder of Survivalblog.com
Very interesting and I am only half way through it.
trussell
: 870

« #6 : November 09, 2010, 10:42:54 PM »

Are you implying that the government won't be there for me?
;)
Shoot.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
slpott

« #7 : November 10, 2010, 05:25:13 AM »

I would hate to be opinionated or pass jusgment but......one never knows what will happen.  Look at Katrina.
cedarman
: 370

« #8 : November 10, 2010, 01:20:28 PM »

And Katrina was an isolated event - in the sense of it being contained to one small area of the country while there were very few resource draws on "the system". 

I believe we truly need to be ready to take care of ourselves, and our neighbors because when the  SSSS hits the fan, everyone else will be too far away.

HAM radio clubs.  Great idea, but It'll probably take a couple years to get the permits in place for an individual or club to put up a radio tower. 
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #9 : November 13, 2010, 01:17:03 AM »

Tin Foil hats work.
slpott

« #10 : November 13, 2010, 08:20:41 AM »

I would love to have coffee with anyone who would like to discuss this topic. I find it very interesting. If we could not get any supplies into Fairfax, what would we do? what would happen? How long could an average family survive?
cedarman
: 370

« #11 : November 15, 2010, 03:36:08 PM »

Well, 33 miners survived 10 days on a few cans of tuna before receiving any additional food, so I'm guessing most average families would have enough food on hand to survive a few weeks before they had nothing left (assuming the family had the wits and will power to self ration).
al brodeur
: 216

« #12 : November 15, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »

do like the Mormons do a years worth of supplies on hand this might be a bit drastic for some but at least supplies for a month if need be would not be too far fetched,
all of this only brings up the fact that when you start depending on someone for survival presto he (she)is gone  granted we all do not live near a grist mill but that problem could be solved after all the settlers did.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #13 : November 17, 2010, 01:28:36 AM »

Al,

That is just plain silly and racists.....
I love it!!!
Don't GET me started on the Baptists and Lutherans....

PS,,, them there miners.....just a reality show gone wrong. You'll see.
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #14 : November 17, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »

Is everyone ready for the Zombie Apocalypse? ;)

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: