Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 07:51:42 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Thanks John & Sue Mitichell - Super Hosts To FHS
« previous next »
: [1]
: Thanks John & Sue Mitichell - Super Hosts To FHS  ( 1919 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 19, 2010, 08:18:23 AM »

Well, you missed a great meeting last night at John & Sue Mitchell's if you did not attend.  John had a lot of Civil War letters that he had found stuffed in an old desk at the Clip Stewart House, originally owned by Homer Hubbell.  Now most of us have read about The St. Albans Raid, but this is the first time I have actually had the opportunity to read an actual letter from one of the Confederate Raiders and their experience before and after the Raid, and what their plans were.  There was just a tremendous amount of information there and you could feel a connection to it, through these letters to Mr. Hubbell.  There was a Roster of Fairfax Soldiers there, receipts for soldiers pay and much more.  John would throw in little things about Clip Stewart and his family's trip from Bakersfield when they moved to Fairfax and Clip & Rena's two daughters Bev Taylor and Janet Geer were there and also contributed to the information.

Sue offered a tour of the house to anyone who wanted to take it.  It was truly a wonderful appropriate meeting for our Fairfax Historical Society and we are truly grateful to John & Sue Mitchell for making this possible.

If my memory was better, I could probably tell you a lot more, but I expect that Mike Cain, our Fairfax Historical Society President will be doing that in the future.

Thanks John & Sue for a wonderful evening

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: