Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 07:19:04 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Vietnam High School Diploma Bill - By Gary Gilbert
« previous next »
: [1]
: Vietnam High School Diploma Bill - By Gary Gilbert  ( 2639 )
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« : April 21, 2007, 06:25:12 PM »

On Thursday, I reported S.173, The Vietnam High School Diploma bill, to the House.  It is identical to what was available for WW II and Korean War Vets. Upon passage, a Vietnam Veteran shall receive a diploma upon request.  These diplomas have already been granted to over 170 Veterans; men who were proud of their lifetime accomplishments and wished to publicly demonstrate the value they placed on education and to set an example for their grandchildren The older vets were spotlighted in 2004. Now is the time to acknowledge the service of the Vietnam-Era Generation.

There are almost 19,000 Vietnam Era Vets in the Nation today, the largest of any veterans group.  Many of my friends are these vets:

Danny – in the navy, he drove a truck in Texas,
Big Al – in the army, he unloaded ships at the docks in Saigon,
John – in the air force, he worked on missile silos in Alaska
John- in the army, he served in Cambodia and Vietnam
Reggie- in the navy, who tells how he started it all when he was on a ship in the Tonkin Gulf.

Their stories are all different, but they all served as they were asked to.

Some Vietnam Vets made the conscious choice to serve their country in a time of need. Others served honorably as the result of an active draft, a draft that disrupted their lives at the time their peers were entering the work force or continuing their education.

We need to recognize that both of these groups had their lives, careers, and families interrupted at the time when many of us were transitioning from entry-level jobs into career opportunities.
The Vietnam era veteran made that transition possible for those of us at home. They were responsible for insulating us from the affairs of the larger world.

When they returned home, many found their most pressing responsibility was the need to work to support themselves and their families and that returning to school in their mid-20’s was not a responsible option. These men and women began their careers later than their school aged peers and admirably fulfilled their responsibilities as adults.  What they had learned through service could not have been learned by reading a book.

A high school Diploma for a Vietnam Vet is not a reward for service but an acknowledgement of what was earned through a life experience that went well beyond the requirements of a high school diploma.

The Vermont Veterans will also be honored in Georgia with the dedication of the newly completed Veterans Memorial at 11:00 am on May 26th at the Georgia Town Offices after the 9:30 parade. I hope to see you there.

I can be reached during the week in Montpelier by calling toll free at the State House 1-800-322-5616 , by E-mail at ggilbert@leg.state.vt.us, or at my home answering machine at 849-6333.

Gary Gilbert
State Representative
Franklin 1
Fairfax/Georgia
: [1]  
« previous next »
: