Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 03:02:40 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  Picture of the Day 6/16/11 and Blog- Stanley Cup Champions
« previous next »
: [1]
: Picture of the Day 6/16/11 and Blog- Stanley Cup Champions  ( 4497 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : June 15, 2011, 11:30:36 PM »

Thursday June 16, 2011
Picture of the Day

Wow. I really thought I would never see this.

STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS

I didn't want to get my hopes up. When your team loses a championship, it can be pretty devastating.

The last time the Bruins won the Cup was in 1972. I wasn't following hockey back then. The kids in my class were talking about it and that Bobby Orr got MVP. The following year I checked the scores, but the Bruins lost in the opening round to the Rangers. But I kept with them.

To me, this was like the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004. I never thought I would live to see this. Too many disappointments.

I kept checking the scores with my iPnone. 1-0. 2-0. 3-0. My stomach was in knots. Things can go wrong.
As I was doing a walk-around checking doors, my phone made a noise. Text message. Margie. "Congratulations! 4-0."
Wow.
As I walked home from work, I did the same thing I did back in 2004. I looked to the stars. And I thought about different people. Bernie Kuhn. Big Bruins fan. Mom's father, my grandfather. When he lived in the senior housing by the school, and we had the antenna on the roof, I was able to get channel 6 out of Montreal, and he used to come over and we would watch Hockey Night in Canada. I thought about my dad. When the games used to be on TV22, it was the feed from TV38. Dad used to bet with me a quarter on the game. He would bet on the other team. Just for fun. Invariably, Dad would doze off during the game. Close play. A Bruins shot on goal. I would see the puck go into the net. And I would LEAP out of chair. Screaming "SCORE!!!!!!!!".
"Jesus Christ!"
What?
"I had dozed off."
Sorry.

I don't take winning for granted. Because my team has lost too many times.
Last year, the Celics were leading the Lakers and on the verge of beating them. But the Celtics got tired. Lakers came back and won.
The next morning I refused to watch Mike and Mike in the Morning, because all they were going to talk about was Kobe's legacy. And I didn't want to watch the KTLA Morning News out of LA, because that's all THEY were going to talk about.
Unfortunately, all Mike and Mike has talked about lately has been the NBA playooffs.

The Boston Bruins.
Stanley Cup Champions.
Really.
Seriously.

AWESOME!!!!

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
7F24
: 253

« #1 : June 16, 2011, 04:54:31 AM »

Truly awesome!
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #2 : June 17, 2011, 01:06:49 AM »

I have probably said this somewhere in the forums before but oh well,,,,,

A few weeks after NJ beat Anaheim for the cup I was at a gas station filling up.

I looked across from me and there was Scotty Gomez. I was at a gas station near his parents house up here. Airport Heights.

I said, "Nice job, congrats. We are proud of you!"

He said, "Thanks man."

I said, " I was pulling for the Ducks, but still, you brought the CUP here."

He did an eye roll at me.

My BRUSH WITH FAME with an NHL player while pumping gas.
7F24
: 253

« #3 : June 17, 2011, 05:57:48 AM »

I remember being at a Springfield Indians game in the mid 60's with my parents.  I went to get an ice cream and an old man standing there paid for it.  I thanked him and he walked away, the ice cream guy then told me that the man was Eddie Shore.  I went over and said thank you for the ice cream Mr. Shore, he smiled and bowed.  When I got back to my seat I told my parents a man named Eddie Shore bought the ice cream.  Thats when I found out I just met a NHL Hall of Famer, and the owner of the Indians.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #4 : June 18, 2011, 01:01:43 AM »

Dammit 7F24.....

Cooler story than mine.

Well played, Sir!!

Better BRUSH with FAME.....hats off to you!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: