Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 06:31:25 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Henry! You're a Star!
« previous next »
: [1]
: Henry! You're a Star!  ( 3068 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : August 18, 2007, 10:35:15 PM »

It was fun to see our own Henry Raymond on the Channel 3 News tonight. Henry, Senator Leahy, Gov. and Mrs. Douglas and many others were celebrating 50 years of IBM in Vermont. Since Henry was one of the original 400 employed at the Chittenden County plant, his comments were interesting and showed how far Vermont's workforce has come. 

IBM has certainly been a strong economic contributor to our state in the last several decades. What do companies like IBM look for in choosing a location? Some of the most important factors include an educated and motivated workforce, good transportation system, access to an airport, smooth permitting process and reasonable taxes. I try to keep these economic development factors in mind at the legislature.

Congratulations, Henry!

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Georgia/Fairfax
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : August 19, 2007, 08:16:33 AM »

Thanks Carolyn,

Although IBM has not started up any new plants in many years, another thing they used to look for was a railroad.  I believe every IBM Plant has a railroad track that goes by.  The main reason was to insure they had a way of getting materials in and out in case of strikes.  IBM created a whole new way of life for many of us here in Franklin County, even though the plant was located in Chittenden County.  Commuting from Richford and Highgate did not seem to be a problem and as for me, I had been commuting into Burlington, so for the next 35+ years my commuting time was decreased considerably. 

IBMers in those early years used their Yankee Ingenuity to overcome many obstacles, whether it be to go up to the local department stores to pick up all the clothespins they had to hold glued parts in a particular operation, purchase a fly sprayer used to spray livestock for another purpose, or just come up with a new idea to improve.  I still communicate with many old friends on a daily basis, however, unfortunately many of the communications are to inform them of yet the death of another co-worker.  There are less than 100 of those originals left, however, each and everyone of us is very, very grateful to have had the privilege of working for IBM as we now enjoy our retirement.

I was asked along with another retiree to work with the planning team for yesterday's event and was very impressed with them.  I actually did very little, but the individuals in this group each carried out their assignments to perfection as was witnessed by thousands of IBMers, past and present and their families yesterday.

It was nice to see Governor Douglas and Pat Leahy so supportive of IBM.  There are many people other than the actual employees who have benefited greatly over the past 50 years by their being here.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: