Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 10:41:39 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Waterbury 4th of July Parade
« previous next »
: [1]
: Waterbury 4th of July Parade  ( 4211 )
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« : June 27, 2007, 03:51:40 PM »

is June 30th (yeah I know....makes no sense!!).  Anyway, starts at 11AM.  Theme is the history of Waterbury.  The fire department (of which I am a member for those that don't know) will be revealing its 1859 Button & Blake hand pumper after a long absence and a recent cleaning session!

Here is an older photo of it...

http://www.waterburyvtfire.com/html/equipment/seth.html
« : June 27, 2007, 03:57:09 PM NorthFairfaxBoy »

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : June 27, 2007, 09:47:42 PM »

The above sketch, I am told was drawn from memory by Larry Parsons.

Here in Fairfax, in the early days if a fire broke out the church bells were rung and all able bodied men responded with a bucket and formed a brigade.  It's doubtful that much property was saved although it is rumored that one building was saved with "snowballs."

Although no records have been found as to exactly when or from where, some time between 1880 and 1900, Fairfax got its very first Fire Apparatus consisting of a hand drawn and hand operated fire pump.  It was said that it would pump water through a 1 1/2 inch hose to beat the band as long as water and manpower held out, but was never very effective at drafting, so the tank was usually supplied by the "Bucket Brigade."  Albert Rich also told me that he has seen the pump shown in the sketch pump water up to the third story windows from the brook behind the old George Rooney Blacksmith shop across from Mildred Warren's house when the Rooney house was still standing. From all examples of this type it would date in construction to the early 1800's.  This rig was stored at various times in places such as the cellar of the town clerks office and at one time the funeral home.

From all the information available it is believed to have been lent for a parade and never returned and is commonly thought to reside in a museum in Massachusetts.  Having talked to some of the village elders I was told that there was no Fire Department as such, only volunteers.  It may be that the Village Improvement Society may have originally purchased it or that it was locally built.  Even today you may hear a fire truck called a fire wagon, but early ones truly were.[/b]

Henry Raymond
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #2 : July 03, 2007, 10:40:21 AM »

If anyone caught the Channel 3 news, you saw WFD, pushing their hand pumper up the hill in the center of town.  Lots of cheers and claps, and comments about us pushing it!

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: