Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 03:20:11 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Latest Selectboard Minutes For Dec 13, 2010 Are Available
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: Latest Selectboard Minutes For Dec 13, 2010 Are Available  ( 18784 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : December 20, 2010, 12:12:22 PM »

The latest selectboard minutes for December 13, 2010 are available for you to read by clicking on the following link:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/fxtown/past-sbminutes-index.html

Henry Raymond
Papi
: 66

« #1 : December 20, 2010, 12:55:13 PM »

According to the minutes: "Christmas Party: A budget of $225.00 has been allotted for the party out of the office expense line item." 

Tough economic times for many, but the party goes on...   Am I being too petty or too much of a Scrooge?
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #2 : December 20, 2010, 03:22:23 PM »

Well I obviously have a sided view on this but I say a little petty.  I am not going, nor have I gone to it in the past, but a lot of the town employees work really hard to make our town a safe and good place to live.  They don't get bonuses or anything at the end of the year and its not like they are getting rich off their hard work.  So in my opinion $225 really isn't a big deal but like I said it's just my opinion.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
cedarman
: 370

« #3 : December 20, 2010, 04:13:57 PM »

I agree with Josh, and I don't have a biased interest (neither I nor any family members get an invite to the party).  It seems like a very reasonable amount and a very small token of appreciation, especially in light of the information that they don't get any kind of bonus.
Mummy
: 280

« #4 : December 20, 2010, 09:05:41 PM »

I agree with Papi.    My Christmas Party we all prepared or baked something and had a great time!   I work hard VERY hard also!  What was the $225.00 spent on?  Does anyone recall this being in the Town Report?   NO because there is SO MUCH fluff in the Town Report! 

Does anyone believe .... having a job requires you to hum .... work hard?  It use to be the Selectboard would treat the Town Employee's to a dinner out and the Selectboard PAID for it!
MikeF9
: 1994

« #5 : December 21, 2010, 09:21:20 AM »

$225 for a Christmas party for the town employees. Whoop-dee-doo.
And people want to piss and moan about it.
How much did you spend on your family for Christmas? I spent a lot more than that.
When it comes time for the school to hold The Prom, how much money do parents spend on their kids to have a good time? Tuxes, dressses, dinner, some do limo rides.
$225 means each household contributed, what a nickel, a dime? And you payed how much in property taxes this year? And you want to haggle over a nickel?
Please, people, it's Christmas. Everyone is entitled to celebrate.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : December 21, 2010, 09:31:15 AM »

Mike, I try not to get involved in these types of discussions, but when I hear our Town Trucks out at all hours of the night, or go down to the town office for something from one of the people there, there is never any hassle as to "That's not my job" or anything like that.  These people do not get paid outrageous salaries or get bonuses and I think that we as a town need to get a little Christmas Spirit and at least offer them some token of our appreciation.  Maybe someone out there could figure out just what the actual cost per taxpayer is because of this $225 Christmas Party.

I won't be saying any more, but just had to make a comment.

Henry Raymond
Thor

« #7 : December 21, 2010, 09:44:31 AM »

Henry,

Couldn't agree more with you. Lots of work, most of it odd hours and thankless, although the people here in the small town are generally pretty good about showing appreciation for community effort. With that said, Mummy has a point. We all work hard and so on. And as much as I agree with her point, I would have to say that I believe some good discussion about whether or not funding $225 dollars for the Christmas party was appropriate or not. And I am sure there was no malintent on anyones part other than to have a gathering to say thanks and celebrate the season. So Henry, if you can contact me via email, we can sort this problem out. Thanks.
Henry
Administrator

« #8 : December 21, 2010, 09:57:34 AM »

I just need to clarify one thing and that is there is no reason for people to agree with me just because it is my forum - This happened to be something I felt strongly about and just couldn't let it ride without speaking my side of the story, so feel free to express your honest opinions, whether they agree with mine or not.

Henry Raymond
Stand Alone Defense

« #9 : December 21, 2010, 10:10:59 AM »

It would be about 10 cents per tax paying resident(Property) if it was spread evenly across the board.  Come on!! your not willing to give 10 cents as a thank you to the guys that plow and fix our roads at all hours of the night and in bad weather. Or for that matter come pick up dead animals or clear trees from your driveway for you(NOT THEIR JOB) when you need it. I feel that its pretty low in my book!! Really if it is that big of a deal I'll take the 300 dollars a year I make as constable and donate it for a Christmas party for them. Pretty sad when people bitch about 10 cents to buy food so our town employees can have a 2 hour Christmas party!!  
« : December 21, 2010, 10:14:07 AM FXDHS »

Margie
: 156

« #10 : December 21, 2010, 10:21:29 AM »

Okay...here's my two cents.

My father was the road foreman for a very long time, and before that, was one the road crew for a number of years.  I can count on one hand the number of Christmases that my father spent the entire day with his family.  He spent most Christmases plowing snow.  More often than not, our dinner was timed for when Daddy could stop in and hurry thru eating, then spent a few minutes while us kids opened our presents.  

Most businesses allot a bit of money for office/business holiday parties and spend significantly more than $225.  As a taxpayer, I have absolutely no problem with this very small amount spent on the town employees.  However, if people are going to complain about this, someone set out a basket and I'll be the first one to throw $10 in there to stop the bickering.  The idea that people are upset about this upsets me.

Papi
: 66

« #11 : December 21, 2010, 10:27:05 AM »

Sorry folks...  I didn't mean to stir you up that much.  Just a little!  My point was not to "bitch" as FXDHS writes or "piss and moan" as MikeF9 writes.  Those terms definitely show your holiday spirit and goodwill to all.  I was just a little perplexed as to how our tax $'s are spent.  $225 is a small amt.  But it's the principle not the principal.  How much $ is in the office expense line item?  If the money was being spent on another type of party besides Christmas would your opinions change?  If our town employees are not making enough $ for their hard work shouldn't we pay them more?  
Stand Alone Defense

« #12 : December 21, 2010, 10:42:01 AM »

What if!!!? What if Butterflies had machine guns? would birds still eat them?

It's not another party its a Christmas party, and they aren't asking for a raise.  They didn't even ask for a Christmas party, it is just a nice thing for the town to do for their employees as most businesses do that for their employees this time of year.  I didn't mean to offend by the "Bitching" comment I just don't really see the issue in $225 for what in my opinion is a good thing that shows "holiday spirit and goodwill to all" town employees.

slpott
: 457

« #13 : December 21, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »

OMG. It is so obvious to me that you all have plenty of time to bakes some goodies and share with thy neighbor. Merry Christmas to all. May the spirit of the season be with you. I would gladly donate. Maybe the people of the town could throw the party. Count me in.
Thor

« #14 : December 21, 2010, 11:24:14 AM »

Hey, I think everyone's point here is understood. No dramas. Valid points across the board. But everyone here is very much on their way to making this such a big deal, even if the folks have the Christmas Party, what the hell kind of mood will there be at it, if they think it is causing all this consternation! It's the principle not the principal. Got it. Perhaps we don't pay them enough. Got it. It's only 10 cents per tax paying household. Okay, got it. Everyone works hard. Got it. But perhaps it is not right for the town to pay for it, considering the economic times and how that looks. Okay, sure, but this is Main street, not Wall St! If we are so appreciative (and it sounds like everyone here is), then the Town should put the money back in their coffers and we pay for it. Simple, easy, the right thing to do.

: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
: