Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 03:37:04 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  answering questions
« previous next »
: [1]
: answering questions  ( 3720 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : February 07, 2009, 11:12:24 AM »

It is great to see that so many new people are participating. Somewhere I saw that one of the new participants was asking about   how much legislators get paid........

Vermont has a citizen legislature. That means there are no professional legislators in our General Assembly, everyone has a life  outside the statehouse, including the need to earn a living. Many Vermonters cherish this form of representation, because the citizen legislator experiences the same struggles as the voters.

So Vermont legislators are not in it for the money and do not get paid like professional legislators in other states.We have no office and no staff other than the statehouse facilities and staff which we all share.

For the 2009 session each member of the General Assembly is entitled to compensation of $625.36 per week the legislature is in session. When the legislature is not in session, legislators receive no compensation. The Speaker and the President Pro Tempore get $692.24 per week. In addition legislators receive mileage at the IRS rate currently 55 cents per mile, $54 per day for meals and $93 per night for lodging if the legislator decides to stay overnight. Either mileage or lodging is paid, not both. I am one of about 40 legislators who has taken a voluntary 5% pay cut due to the tough financial times faced by our state.

I hope this helps, if not let me know

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

« : February 07, 2009, 11:35:07 AM Carolyn Branagan »

Carolyn Branagan
Sue W.
: 167

« #1 : February 07, 2009, 04:07:43 PM »

Carolyn,

I am really glad that you have brought this up. This has been something in the back of my mind for awhile.  I don't understand why the legistlators are paid for meals or rooms.  People go to work each day and either bring their lunch from home or buy it along the way.  What is the reasoning behind giving the legistlators or the governor compensation for something that they should provide for themselves?

Vermont is such a small state, why would they need to stay over night?  You can get from one end to the other in a few hours.  Some Vermonters do this daily to go back and forth to work.  It seems like this could make a great place to save some money rather than cut jobs or essential services.

Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #2 : February 09, 2009, 03:25:09 PM »

Hi Sue,

I honestly don't know for sure when or how legislators first got compensated, but I think now the legislator's pay is changed automatically and is related to the state employees contract.

With energy concerns as they are presently, legislators are encouraged to stay overnight rather than use the gasoline to travel  back and forth. For most legislators the reimbursement is about the same, if they drive a long way or stay overnight. For me it is   less than $20 difference for one night to drive or stay over, but I can get more work done if I stay late. I have always felt the food reimbursement was generous, and previous legislators have told me the same thing. I try to pay for constituents who eat with me at the statehouse but even so, I almost never use the entire amount I am allotted for food. About health insurance, legislators may purchase the state employees health insurance by paying full premium. It is not a benefit.

Legislators are not in it for the money. I was very disappointed last year when the bill I co-sponsored to shorten the session was  defeated by the majority. It would have saved over a milion dollars and we could have used the money to pay for heating fuel for the elderly. I have always voted against legislative pay hikes. I am not doing this for the money. I am serving my community out of a belief that I can make a difference. It is the best job I have ever had.   

from,  Carolyn

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: