Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 03:33:08 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Accelerated Learning and Drop Out Reduction
« previous next »
: [1]
: Accelerated Learning and Drop Out Reduction  ( 4610 )
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« : March 31, 2008, 09:07:33 PM »

While much of the attention will be focused on the money bills this week, this is an issue that merits attention over a longer scope of time. It is one that I am going to focus on whenever there is an opportunity.

Accelerated Learning and Drop Out Reduction: A Summary

In today’s global economy, knowledge truly is power. The fastest growing and highest paying occupations between now and 2014 require some form of postsecondary education.  Although more students begin college today than 20 years ago, greater proportions are not graduating. Far too many students experience substantial challenges in negotiating the transition from high school to college. The result is that fewer than 20% of the 9th graders entering the education pipeline will graduate with a college degree by the age of 24. The United States cannot afford human capital loss of this scale and remain globally competitive.

A body of research demonstrates that postsecondary success is predicated on a clear understanding of the expectations in college as well as rigorous academic course work in high school. Multiple enrollment options provide students with the rigor of a college curriculum while still in high school, and the opportunity to receive both high school and college credits. College credits earned prior to high school graduation reduce the average time-to-degree and increase the likelihood of graduation for the students who participate in these programs.

Since the 1995 implementation of a P-16 initiative linking K-12 to postsecondary education in Georgia, the percentage of high school students taking a rigorous core curriculum rose from 76%-91% and post remediation levels fell by nearly 40%. Research in Minnesota suggests that the number of students taking Advanced Placement tests rose by 988% between 1986 and 2004 as a result of the state’s dual enrollment program.

These accomplishments suggest that high schools and colleges should work together to ensure that students’ high school experiences are related to college expectations.  How that is to come about is a topic worthy of further discussion by Superintendents, School Boards, the State Board, the Department of Education, and Higher Education.

Please let me know how you feel about these or other issues. I also invite you to come to Montpelier to see the legislative process in action. I can be reached during the week in Montpelier by calling toll free at the State House 1-800-322-5616, by E-mail at ggilbert@leg.state.vt.us, or at my home answering machine at 849-6333.

Gary Gilbert
State Representative
Franklin 1
Fairfax/Georgia
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #1 : April 01, 2008, 08:58:37 AM »

One thing that came to mind while i was reading the above was the focus of these studies.  I wonder, was there and consideration for the reasons behind students either not pursuing secondary education or at least along the normal timeline?

i beleive there's deeper issues affecting some kids today.  I firmly beleive many of these issues start at younger ages in the home and snowball ove rthe years - resulting in lack of interest and drive come the teeange years.  Is there any data/surveys that correlate family life with academic success that you could provide Mr Gilbert?  Perhaps you could provide some of that information and initiate some dialgue here.  It may serve to garner more interest and attention, and just maybe a grreater local participation in these issues.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« #2 : April 03, 2008, 07:20:17 AM »

There is ample evidence that parents are and should be the most important factor in shaping the character, values, and goals of a young adult. In the area of education, the student success is most closely associated with the education of the mother, then socioeconomic status. What we know is that is some areas of the county 50% high school graduation rates are the norm. These are areas that have higher poverty rates, less parental interest in education, and higher levels of mobility in and out of schools. But what we are learning is that some students drop out because they are bored, can already do the service level work that does not require a diploma, or see no chance of doing anything else with their lives. The state of Fla. has a program that offers college level classes to high school students. Their experience seems to indicate that when this happens a higher number of minority students not only graduate from high school but go on to higher education in some form and graduate at higher rates than those students that did not have this opportunity.
Studies can be found at: Western Interstate Commission for higher education; Education Commission of the States; Community College Research Center; US Dept. of Education-office of vocational and adult education; and the College Board-Advanced Placement
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #3 : April 03, 2008, 10:46:06 AM »

Thanks Mr. Gilbert.  I was alluding to the issue of socioeconomic influence in some of our rural areas in Vt.  In my narrow scope of experiences, I've found something a bit deeper that i haven't been able to put my finger on.  I don't mean to generalize, but in that scope of experience, I've noticed a blatant and almost belligerent disregard for social norms in some of the rural areas I've either lived in or spent some time in.  I'd thought it was an overarching attitude towards folks from more urban areas moving into rural territories.  But over extended amounts of time, I've realized it's more than that.
I do see some correlation to the socioeconomic situation of past generations of the folks I've experienced these issues with - meaning it's how their parents and grandparents were raised.  But i often wonder how and why it came about.  I tell myself it's transference of past relative's bad experiences to their children, and then on to their children and so on and so forth.  It helps me contain it to a small segment of society rather than myself transfer it to a general population.
But, I've always felt 98 % of our own flaws and strengths originate from our parents philosophies, 1% from our environment, and 1% from genetics. 

Thanks for the info and sparking my interest.
« : April 03, 2008, 12:26:56 PM Henry »

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: