Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 08:17:31 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Big Decision - Need To Get A New Camera
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Big Decision - Need To Get A New Camera  ( 12229 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 04, 2009, 01:56:56 PM »

After over 10,000 photos, my DX3600 Kodak is acting up, so need to get another camera.  Actually looking for a point & Shoot - Too old to remember adjustments - Anyone have any suggestions or experience with one they think my be something I could use.  Want to make sure I get something that a shaky hand won't cause blurry photos.

Henry Raymond
JoeT
: 100

« #1 : November 04, 2009, 04:04:19 PM »

We had a 3600, nice camera, but it started acting weird several years ago.  Replaced it with another Kodak, takes great pictures but after 4 years, it now is also starting to act strange.  By strange I mean re-booting or turning off at random times.  I do not beat up my cameras, treat them pretty well, actually.

The biggest disadvantage to most Kodak cameras is the, of all things, the video format is Apple's Quicktime, which can be difficult to view on PC's (The Apple Quicktime software for Windows is dreadful).

I'll probably be shopping for another camera soon and it probably will not be a Kodak, sad to say.

One feature that is hard to find these days is an optical viewfinder.  Most cameras just have a video viewfinder on the rear of the camera but that screen can be difficult to see in full sunlight.

Happy Hunting,
Joe
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : November 04, 2009, 04:17:15 PM »

Thanks Joe, I probably would have not thought of some cameras not having the view finder - I know I cannot see my screen to view photos in bright sunlight.  My camera does not get beat up either, but sure does get a lot of use.

Henry Raymond
ladiblu2
: 11

« #3 : November 04, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »

Hi, I just purchased a Canon 12 megapixel 3x  zoom.  Love it.  Has auto, manual and video.  Approx. 139.00 Very easy to use.
When looking I learned that manufacturers are no longer making view finders.  This is/was one of the last.
Don't know how you feel about that, but something to keep in mind
gpdvt
: 56

« #4 : November 04, 2009, 04:23:57 PM »

I'm on my 2nd Canon digital. Just got the Powershot SD1200 IS. Simple to use, big view screen that, so far, seems to work well even in the sun(my other canon failed at this). It's got enough features to keep me from getting bored, but even at it's basic it takes great shots. Think it was around $150(not sure as it was a gift). My other canon took a beating and after 5 yrs it was time to get a new one as it was starting to take some grainy pics. This new one is so small and light, on a recent trip I kept grabbing my cell phone instead of the camera as they both felt similar in my pocket.
trussell
: 870

« #5 : November 04, 2009, 04:36:30 PM »

My wife just got a Nikon L100 which we both love.  This takes great pics and is very easy to use.  The most important attribute to her is that it be comfortable to hold.  She didn't want a tiny one, as she dexterity problems with her fingers- and manipulating buttons that are close together was a big problem with her older one.  This one is close to a "full size" camera- originally we were going to go with a Nikon SLR but most of those don't have live view- so the image isn't viewable on the screen until after it's taken.  I'm not sure what it cost, but I'd definitely recommend it.

Oh, and it takes AA batteries and can be optimized depending on which type- Alkaline, Lithium Ion, NiMH...

-Trevor

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
special ED

« #6 : November 05, 2009, 04:13:27 AM »

forget the camera ,,go get yourself a new gun you deserve it !!!!
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #7 : November 05, 2009, 08:19:46 PM »

Henry,
We have had fabulous experiences with Canon. Everyone in our family owns a Canon and they take absolutely wonderful pictures. My Canon SD1100 IS is 8 megapixels and I've had it for over a year. Before that I had a Canon ELF 3 megapix camera that was just as good. I only upgraded because it was time, not because the camera pooped out on me. I knew I would buy another Canon. Some of the Canons are a bit pricier only because you are getting many features in a small camera (like the image stabilization). What's nice about mine is I can play around and treat it as a semi-manual camera and then just put it on auto mode any time I pass it on to someone else to take the photos and not have to worry about them taking a bad one.
YouAnnMos
: 30

« #8 : November 07, 2009, 07:47:50 AM »

Good for you Henry!

Buying a camera today can me so overwhelming what with all the choices of brand , category , features , price , ... etc.

This link may help out  http://www.dpreview.com/.  This site has unbiased reviews of many camera manufactures.  It contains many areas where you can view features and test results.  The site may seem intimidating at first but it does contain a boat load of information.  Once you choose between two, three or four cameras the site lets you do a side-by-side comparison of features and price.

Now, about the type of camera.  Point-and-Shoot cameras are great!  Low price, lots of features, both pre-set and manual modes, great video ( I think in some models are up to 720p) and small ennough to carry in your pocket but don't overlook a DSLR.  It is true that DLSRs are bigger and bulkier than Point and Shoots , oh and pricier , but they do have Point and Shoot modes along with completely manual settings.  Some even offer video now.  Big advantage for DSLRs is the interchangeable lens.  And let's face it Henry a man of your statute should be carrying around a big bad piece of modern technology.  When you come on the scene the FIRST thing others should see is that bad camera strapped around your neck.

Good luck in the hunt.  The hunt is always the fun part.  Also, great time of year to be looking as I'm sure prices will come down for the holidays.     

« : November 07, 2009, 08:30:52 AM Henry »
JoeT
: 100

« #9 : November 09, 2009, 09:17:10 AM »

There were a couple of Cannon cameras advertised in Sunday's circulars that still had optical viewfinders....approx 130 bucks.
ladiblu2
: 11

« #10 : November 16, 2009, 10:24:26 AM »

Henry, did you get your new camera?? What did you decide on??
Henry
Administrator

« #11 : November 16, 2009, 10:28:47 AM »

I haven't yet - I was fortunate that mine worked for the opening of the Steeple Market.  If I don't have something I want to get a photo of on the spot, everything works fine - I appreciate all the input and am still mulling it over.

Henry Raymond
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #12 : November 17, 2009, 08:05:57 AM »

Good time to buy.  Black Friday is on its way.  URL for Staples is at the top of the image.  To see what ads are available for other stores just remove the /ad/staples

Dave
Lilone
: 81

« #13 : November 17, 2009, 09:32:38 AM »

I have the Nikon Coolpix 15x optical zoom and I love it! however the camera is kind of bulky and it's not something that you can just slip in your pocket or purse you have to buy a case for it.  It also isn't really quick to recover after taking a picture, but maybe that is a setting thing that I haven't figured out.
Henry
Administrator

« #14 : November 17, 2009, 04:28:46 PM »

I received an e-mail today regarding this camera -

HI Henry,
I was reading about your having to buy a new digital camera.  I have had my Canon Power Shot A560 for about a year or so now & it works perfectly.  It is basically an aim & shoot, but does have some useful features if you want to use them.  It does have a viewfinder & I wouldn't want one
without it.  As someone on your blog said, it's difficult sometimes to see the screen on the back of the camera in the sun or at night.  I bought my camera when it came on sale at WalMart for about $165.00 if I remember correctly.  It is compact enough to fit in your pocket.
Happy hunting.

I kind of like the price on this one.  I am still listening though.

Henry Raymond
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: