Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 06:00:05 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Red Hot Dogs Don't Appeal To Me
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Red Hot Dogs Don't Appeal To Me  ( 12183 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 27, 2011, 08:00:52 AM »

Mary Kay went down to the Book/Food Sale yesterday down at the United Church.  She picked up some homemade baked beans, banana bread and Maple Cream Pie.  All were absolutely delicious by the way.  Those Girls at the United Church sure do know how to cook that Old Time Food.

Well, I knew that I wanted some Hot Dogs to go with my baked beans and since I try not to keep any here at home because they do have a little more Salt than my doctor would prefer I eat, I went down to Steeples to pick some up.  Soooo  what did they have??  You guessed it, those stupid red hot dogs.  I have no idea why they dye hot dogs red, but some companies do.  They just kill it for me, although I don't suppose they taste any different, but when they talk about food presentation, red hot dogs just don't cut it for me.

CAT, from my forum was working, so she went back and checked for me and they told her they had forgot to order them.  Meanwhile, CAT stopped by another area where they have the prepackaged meats, and sure enough they had some McKenzie's Casing Hot Dogs there, so I picked up one of those packages and CAT put the other one back.

Anybody know why some companies dye hot dogs red??

Henry Raymond
al brodeur
: 216

« #1 : March 27, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »

Henry,
Its all part of the sales--(get your red hots here)
VT Maineiac
: 34

« #2 : March 27, 2011, 11:57:09 AM »

I grew up with red hot dogs in Maine. Still a big hit in my family! Didn't know they made them any other way at that time! They are also called Red Snappers because they are made with a natural casing and have a good snap when you bite in to them. I heard the red dye was added to mask the grey color of the hot dog.

Heather Weeks
Trekr
: 140

« #3 : March 27, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »

Do you suppose they dip the hotdogs in the same vat that they dye the landscape mulch in?  I was just wondering......
Willinreach
: 33

« #4 : March 28, 2011, 07:38:31 AM »

I remember as a kid, going to Maine every summer with my family and it seemed like every supermarket / store only sold red hot dogs.  Even though I have never eaten one, they really do not appeal to me.

Just like back in 2002 (I think it was), they use to make Blue, Purple, Green Ketchup.  Even though it tasted the same, I just could not bring myself to use this stuff because it wasn't red.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #5 : March 28, 2011, 08:02:33 AM »

hot dog trivia:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-are-Hot-dogs-Red-and-Why-are-They-Called-Hot-dogs

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : March 28, 2011, 08:26:46 AM »

Maybe a little off the track, but I remember as a kid going to M H Fishman's in St. Albans which was on the corner of Main & Kingman Street.  They had a food counter there with stools and served the best hot dogs I have ever eaten.  Don't know what kind they were or just how they prepared them, but they were served on a steamed hot dog roll.  To this day, if I really want to enjoy a hot dog, I steam both the hot dogs and the rolls - Absolutely delicious.

Henry Raymond
fletchtb
: 310

« #7 : March 28, 2011, 11:52:43 AM »

My favorite way to consume a hot dog is the way my dad used to make them for me. A favorite lunch from childhood known as a "Hot Dog Sandwich"

1. Slice 2 hot dogs in half the long way
2. Spread a thin layer of mayo on 2 slices of bread
3. Add a ribbon of mustard to each slice of bread and mix well with the mayo
4. Cook the hotdogs in a pan with a little butter until they are nicely browned
5. Place hot dogs side by side on one slice of bread add the second slice on top to form a sandwich
6. Cut sandwich in half and serve with an ice cold coke.

Best lunch ever!!!
Scott
: 152

« #8 : March 28, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »

A real good dog is ...

McKenzie natural casing.
boiled LOW til they "split their britches".
served on a "New England" style bun (split vertically) with merely .... a few pats of butter.

Trekr's Mom (my Gram) taught me that.

Simple, pure, delicious. 

Regards,
Scott
LauriH
: 53

« #9 : March 28, 2011, 08:29:10 PM »

Bolley's Hot Dog Stand in Waterville Maine!  They aren't neon red, but they have the natural casing that snaps when you bite into it.  I always order mine with ketchup, mustard, fried onions and fried salt pork.  Don't forget the french fries!  We have to be taking a trip to Maine to see the folks in the next couple of weeks.  I think we will have to pay Bolley's a visit.
slpott
: 457

« #10 : March 29, 2011, 06:07:59 AM »

I like Costco's hotdogs.
fletchtb
: 310

« #11 : March 29, 2011, 08:26:47 AM »

You can not go wrong with a Costco hot dog and a soda for $1.50
Henry
Administrator

« #12 : March 29, 2011, 08:43:33 AM »

Anybody know if they are Nathans or Hebrew National??  I have looked at them, but they come in real big packages, however I suppose I could freeze them.  I have a tough time going by when I check out and not stopping to get one.  It is truly a great deal.

Henry Raymond
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #13 : March 29, 2011, 10:42:14 AM »

I don't think I've ever been this hungry for a hot dog.
I like mine with a baseball game in front of it.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #14 : March 29, 2011, 10:52:22 AM »

Home depot has an awesome Hot dog stand to!!

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: