Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 09:15:45 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  DSL in Fairfax ?? There Are 2 Pages - Click on 1 or 2 For Responses
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: DSL in Fairfax ?? There Are 2 Pages - Click on 1 or 2 For Responses  ( 17637 )
CuriousCitizen

« : April 15, 2005, 07:59:36 AM »

Hi, we recently came across three Verizon crews in the Fairfax area within hours of each other. One crew was actually working on the lines!!!   Does anyone have any information in regards to Verizon updating the DSL service in the Farifax area??

Dave Filiberti
« : December 15, 2007, 09:24:34 AM Henry »
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : April 16, 2005, 06:20:22 AM »

Hi Dave,

To the best of my knowledge, Verizon trucks could just be working on the phone lines.  Numerous new developments have made that necessary.  DSL, I believe is available to homes within two miles or slightly more from the little Verizon Building in Main Hill in Fairfax.  The Vermont Electric Coop has been talking about using their power lines for high speed Internet for several years now, but believe one of the first areas they will be doing is Jeffersonville.

Henry Raymond
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #2 : April 27, 2005, 10:27:40 AM »

Hi Dave, Henry, et al,

I heard three miles from the little building.
I got it hooked up and I don't know how I lived without it.
It's a whole new internet at these speeds.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
David Shea
: 471

« #3 : March 14, 2007, 09:07:57 AM »

I live on Sam Webb Rd and have had DSL for about 2 years.  I think I was one of the first on the north end of the street to get the service.  It was a real challenge to have Verizon them lower their standards so that they would connect me.  Since that time several of my neighbors have DSL.  I connect at about 500kbs +/- and am very happy with their service.  My monthly is actually less that what I was paying for dialup.

Not a paid advertisementr for Verizon. 
mirjo
: 785

« #4 : May 01, 2007, 04:24:27 AM »

I have DSL envy!! I live on Tabor Hill, that's not any farther than Sam Webb, and Henry lives past me on the Fletcher Road??? Dial -up just keeps getting slower, it's maddening. Especially when you have access to high speed during the day and come home to it.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
RMajors

« #5 : July 04, 2007, 07:36:09 AM »

I live on McNall Road about 1.2 miles from Hwy. 128 and have had DSL for almost 3 years, but I never did hear the specifics as far as the distance from town that has access to DSL.  It is great though, and I would have a really hard time if I had to go back to dial-up.
Maria Paquin

« #6 : July 04, 2007, 09:56:47 AM »

We live about 3.5 miles from the little white Verizon bldg and can't get DSL service here on Fletcher Road (or so we've been told in numerous ways every time we call to inquire).  It is frustrating in this age of technology that DSL isn't available to everyone!  Our dial-up service is terrible and the extra $$ we pay each month for an "accelerator" that is supposed to enhance the dial-up service is only making things worse!  Most times we have to disconnect the accelerator to get the internet connection to work at all!  Aaarrrgh! 
roadrnnr
: 62

« #7 : December 08, 2007, 01:10:45 PM »

I am going to be looking into ways we can get High Speed Broadband, via DSL,Cable or Wireless. in the next few weeks.

I have been talking to the folks at the
Vermont Rural Broadband Project for some help and guidance as well as Comcast and Surfglobal Net.

I Live north of 104a on Bailey road but want the whole town covered by something.

I may be doing a survey to see who really needs/wants it.

In this day and age Dialup will just not do.

If we can get together on this it should be possible to accomplish.

Contact me me in the meantime if interested, and look for a more substanicial posting on this in the next few days.

Tim lavigne
Henry
Administrator

« #8 : December 08, 2007, 04:32:01 PM »

Hi Tim,

I have heard some very positive responses from the Surfglobal Wireless set up - If they have Globalnet Signs on their panel trucks they seem to be around this and the Westford area quite a bit lately - I understand wireless needs a line of sight, but one of the most positive things I have heard about it is the cost.  Comcast is expensive and unless you have a business or are a real diehard Internet fan, most likely would not fly.

Henry Raymond
roadrnnr

« #9 : December 08, 2007, 04:59:50 PM »

Yeah me to. They seem to be the best hope for my area of Fairfax, Unless the town can get on this fiber optic deal St. Albans, Westford and Underhill are doing with Burlington Telecom. That would be great also.
Yankee
: 12

« #10 : December 11, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »

I live north of 104A on Craftsfield Road.  Globalnet told me wireless broadband was not available to me.  I am anxiously awaiting anything that is faster than dial up.  I'll participate in your survey Tim. 

Nancy Roberts
Henry
Administrator

« #11 : December 12, 2007, 05:12:54 PM »

I was talking with Donna down at the Town Office and she had been told that she couldn't get Surf Global Wireless either and had put her name on a list - She suggested that when you call them that you ask for them to come to your place with their signal tester - She feels quite sure due to the location of Craftsfield and her house that people in that area should be able to get Surf Global Wireless and maybe even down at Bailey Road - Might be worth a try, rather than have someone check on a computer and say, "Nope, you can't get it."

Henry Raymond
roadrnnr

« #12 : December 12, 2007, 06:11:36 PM »

Henry,

Thanks for the info.

I have tried three times in the past year to try and get them to come to my house and they will not. They keep telling me their software says I have no signal here.

I can practically see their tower. I may not have a signal but I think it is still worth checking especially since they are around here all the time.

On another note,

I encourage anyone who feels we need better coverage in Fairfax to attend the planning meeting this Saturday at the High School at 1 pm to see where the selectboard stands on the issue.

There are some grants available to the town to use to get providers like Surf Global to expand here.

It only gonna take participation from the town.

I would also like to see the town Join the exploratory committee with St. Albans, Underhill and Jericho to join Burlington Telecom.

Tim

Yankee
: 12

« #13 : December 12, 2007, 09:07:09 PM »

Globalnet did come to my house and tested the signal.  It is too week for me to get broadband but my next door neighbor was able to get it.  Lucky duck!!  I have to wait for the company to put up another repeater in the area.  They told me they put my name on a list and would call when they put another one up in the area. 

Nancy
roadrnnr

« #14 : December 13, 2007, 04:17:17 PM »

That is one thing that would help, if we could get everybody we know to call them and tell them we want service. Probably would speed up them putting in another repeater.

I call every six months and remind them!

Nancy,

What area do live in that is not served?

Tim
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: