Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 06:46:08 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  BFA FAIRFAX /MILTON MAKE SPORTS ILLUSTRATED NEWS
« previous next »
: [1]
: BFA FAIRFAX /MILTON MAKE SPORTS ILLUSTRATED NEWS  ( 3419 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 15, 2005, 09:06:15 AM »

Hi All,

The following is the write-up of the game between Milton and Fairfax that appeared in the Thursday's edition of The Burlington Free Press.

"Free Press Staff Report

MILTON -- A three-point shot by Shadoe Adams carried BFA-Fairfax past Milton 5-2 in a slow-paced high school boys basketball game Wednesday night.

Yes, 5-2. Yes, basketball.

"I've never had a player hit a game-winner in the second quarter before," BFA-Fairfax coach Glen Button Jr. said after the game.

"It was the ultimate deliberate stalemate," Milton coach Jim Smith told The Burlington Free Press. "They didn't come out after us and we didn't go in against them."

Alex Weber's only basket of the night gave the Bullets a 2-0 lead in the first quarter.

Adams made it 5-0 to start the second quarter, but Milton's Brian Phelps hit Milton's only basket to close it to 5-2 at halftime. Neither team scored in the second half as Milton continued to hold the ball for much of the time.

Smith said the slowdown was implemented because BFA (7-4) has strong scoring and Milton (2-8) has seen limited offense. With no shot clock in Vermont, the strategy almost worked.

"We have been turning it over so many times not to be in games. We had a shot go off the rim that would have tied it," Smith said. "We were one possession away to tie the game. We have not been in that position for quite some time."

Nobody went to the foul line all night. Milton committed five fouls and BFA had one, Smith said."

Chris Santee's web site carried the following this morning:

A high school basketball game in Vermont ended with Bellows Free Academy-Fairfax beating Milton 5-2. Just three shots were made, none in the second half.

If you would like to see the web site note....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/scorecard/

Henry Raymond
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #1 : January 18, 2005, 07:03:21 AM »

Although this was the opening for the "Not so Top Ten" on ESPN's Sports Center, I believe the boys and Coach Button deserve a pat on the back.

Milton is a Division II school.
Fairfax is a Division III.

The intensive, but patient, "floating" zone defense of Coach Button has been the subject of several Fairfax News stories and has been written about many times on "The Clubhouse". Even when JP Marriott was putting up 1,000+ points, the defense was getting ink.

Perhaps Milton showed "too much" respect, but the bottom line is that Fairfax basketball commands respect in any Division !!!

Lookin' at you, Hazen..........

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: