Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 09:42:47 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Thank You J & L
« previous next »
: [1]
: Thank You J & L  ( 3537 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 29, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »

Was getting ready for Hurricane Irene, so went out to the garage and got some of our old kerosene lamps we had up on Fairfield Ridge.  They still had some kerosene in them, but the wicks were not long enough to reach the kerosene in the lamp, except for one.  Now where does one go to get wicks for kerosene lamps?  Well !!  J & L of course.  I will stop down on my way back from the gym today so I will be ready in case another power outage threatens us.  Fortunately I did not lose power last night.

Saw a number of comments about the nothing storm, but sympathize with all of those that lost power yesterday afternoon and last night and also for all of those fireman and Fairfax Town Crew out taking trees out of the road.  Not a nice job and we certainly do appreciate you guys.

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #1 : August 29, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »

I really get angry when I read comments about Irene being a "nothing storm", because we didn't get the full wrath of damage. This ranks up with the Flood of 1927 in terms of damage. Would people had been happier if OUR covered bridge got washed downstream? Some people have lost everything. We are very lucky. Maybe we won't be next time.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
chelseaclark
: 54

« #2 : August 29, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »

We are practically the only place in the state that did not sustain huge amounts of flooding and damage.  Both my hometowns of Ludlow and Manchester, and my husband's hometown of South Strafford, not to mention Brattleboro, Chester, Grafton, Springfield, Wilmington, Brandon, Rutland, Woodstock, Quechee, Montpelier, Waterbury, Morrisville, etc. all have been devastated.  History has been lost with the destruction of our beloved covered bridges and mill houses.  The WCAX Facebook page has hundreds of pictures and video of the damage.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #3 : August 29, 2011, 11:14:47 AM »

I agree Mike..... Southern VT has been really hit hard and we are fortunate in Fairfax, but the state of VT has definitely been hit hard. 9" of rain in Windham, that is over 2 month's worth of rain in the summer in just one day!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Razzle Dazzle

« #4 : August 29, 2011, 03:24:54 PM »

I'm just glad Irene petered out when she did and my thoughts are with those less fortunate. 
: [1]  
« previous next »
: