Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 05:16:50 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Fire Department Was Out Again Last Night
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax Fire Department Was Out Again Last Night  ( 6848 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 29, 2008, 07:21:12 AM »

Mike Cain has some photos on his web site http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7krm0/ of the Fairfax Fire Department responding to water in the cellar at Nan's.  I apparently missed hearing them go out.  Mike has much better luck than I do taking pictures at night.  I sat here with my porch light on, watching it snow most of the evening.  It is so peaceful to sit inside in the warmth and watch the big flakes of snow drift slowly to the ground.

Forgot to fill the bird feeder, so am getting some dirty looks from the birdies outside my picture window.

Henry Raymond
Judi
: 508

« #1 : October 29, 2008, 09:36:16 AM »

Henry, don't let the birds intimidate you. They have more berries and seeds available this time of year than they can eat..they are just too lazy to work for them. I had a chickadee on my empty feeder hanging on for dear life twirling around in the wind this morning. He was not willing to let go and entertained me for a good five minutes.
msm
: 211

« #2 : October 29, 2008, 10:48:36 AM »

Henry and Captain Potter,

Probably a dumb question .. but I have to ask .. Why is the Town Fire Department working on flooded basement for a Commercial Business ?  if I owned the business,  I would be renting my own pump and manning the pump myself.. In other words,  I would be responsible for my own building ( powering down if there was a potential for mixing water and electricity )

My 2 Cents ----  First thing  I thought of when I saw Mike's pictures .. Why is the Town working this building owner's trouble ?     What am I missing ?  Does the Town charge the owner for this non-fire related building issue ?

Mike McNall
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #3 : October 29, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »

When called to help out, we go and help out. The business did have a sump pump installed in the basement, it failed and the basement had 1-1.5' of water in it when we arrived. We pumped it down so they could get the old pump out and a new one installed. The business owner had called a repair person who was on his way before he called us.
   We used a 400 gallon a minute pump and where in and out in about 1hrs time. We do not charge for these types of Emergencies as the tax's he pays is what helps fund our department.                                 

« : October 29, 2008, 03:43:01 PM Henry »
Formerflatlander
: 67

« #4 : October 29, 2008, 03:06:49 PM »

Between the Fire Dept. and the Rescue Squad, I am glad to live in a community that is willing to lend a hand when they are needed.
7F24
: 253

« #5 : October 29, 2008, 04:41:52 PM »

Tuesday night is our training night, so we were all at the station when we were called.  I think this was a win-win situation.  We practiced setting up pumps and running equipment, and we helped a member of our community.  I think Chief Potter made a good decision having us help Nan's.  Mike, if you ever have this problem at your home, feel free to call me for help.  If I am available I will be there as quick as I can to help you.

Tom Snyder
MikeF9
: 1994

« #6 : October 29, 2008, 06:11:52 PM »

As a member of the fire department, I want in if we have to help out Mike McNall and his flooded cellar.
I think Mike lives near Tampa, Florida.
And I bet it would be a lot warmer down there than it was up here Tuesday night.
ROAD TRIP!!!!
(I think this would qualify as mutual aid.)

Mike Cain

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
7F24
: 253

« #7 : October 29, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »

MikeF9, I'll pick you up on my way out.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #8 : October 30, 2008, 08:02:20 AM »

I believe if I remember right, the owner of Nan's opened up in the middle of the night one time to provide our Fairfax Fire Department with fuel, so good deeds indeed do run both ways.  I'm not sure what the reason was, as I think the Fire Department usually refuels up at The Town Garage.

No matter what is needed, our local Fire & Rescue all seem to have a personality of helping others - Looks like it must be a requirement to join.

Henry Raymond
slpott
: 457

« #9 : October 30, 2008, 08:27:45 AM »

I have the upmost respect for these men and women that risk their lives for us and go beyond the call of duty. Just anothere example of taking care of thy neighbor. It is nice to see especially in the time of need and economy situation. Thank you all for all you do.
msm
: 211

« #10 : October 30, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »

Everyone,

Thanks for the small town civics lessons -- Everything makes sense now, I get it now  -- Excellent Job by all parties !

Additional Detail :

1.  I do live in Tampa 
2.  My house does not have a basement --   :-)
3.  Everyone tell Henry he does a great job with forum ..

Mike M 
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #11 : October 30, 2008, 09:49:49 AM »

Nans has opened up over the years mainy times for us, Current and past owners. So that we can fill up our Gas cans for chainsaws, generators, pumps and our Utility truck has a gas engine.
We do get our Diesel up at the Town Garage for the rest of our trucks.
« : October 30, 2008, 12:56:07 PM Henry »
: [1]  
« previous next »
: