Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 06:40:33 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Things Are Now Much Calmer On Halloween - Says Something
« previous next »
: [1]
: Things Are Now Much Calmer On Halloween - Says Something  ( 4298 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 01, 2011, 09:20:03 AM »

I remember when the Fairfax Fire Department used to stand by at the fire station and I would hear calls where bales of hay were set on fire out in the farmer's fields or old tires would be set on fire on some of our cross roads.  You would go down to the village the day after Halloween and see toilet paper strewn all over and smashed pumpkins in the road or thrown against the mail boxes,

I know we have some breaking and entering, but it does appear that our young people are on the whole, not vandalizing like they used to, at least here in Fairfax.  If they have, I am not aware of it.

One of the things I have heard about when I was young was for teenage or boys in their 20s going into a farmer's barn and letting all of the cows loose in the barn by opening the stanchions.  Also, I have heard that they used to put things up on people's roofs.  Maybe, just maybe, things are looking up for future generations.

Henry Raymond
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #1 : November 01, 2011, 09:59:48 AM »

unfortunately I think it might be that most kids are to lazy to do it nowadays Henry.  They would Rather sit at home and play video games then go outside and do something just as well in this case though I suppose.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #2 : November 01, 2011, 02:25:45 PM »

Ahem.....perhaps we don't know the same group of young people, but the young people I know are far from lazy!
Judi
: 508

« #3 : November 01, 2011, 03:51:07 PM »

Let's not give them any ideas...PLEASE!
al brodeur
: 216

« #4 : November 01, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »

I well remember at least two or more VSP in town
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #5 : November 02, 2011, 05:21:58 AM »

Good point Al, Seems to be a lot more enforcement around to I remember when I was in Highschool it was pretty rare to see a cop in town.

REV, The kids that you deal with(Student Athletes) most of the time are good kids that work hard and have goals and strive to achieve them!! The kids that go out and vandalize and cause trouble most of the time aren't the kids who are active in their comunity and involved in sports.  I guess I shouldn't have been so general in the statement, I to know many kids that have awesome work ethic and in no way are lazy.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #6 : November 02, 2011, 07:19:42 AM »

Thanks, Josh, I was quite hopeful that you didn't intend to be so general; I do have trouble with gross generalizations, though, especially about young people!!!
Suzy
: 429

« #7 : November 02, 2011, 01:13:49 PM »

The night before Halloween used to be called Cabbage Night, and when I was a teen, that was the night kids went out and were destructive. (not on Halloween itself) It was all kinds of kids back then.  (except me...my mom wasn't letting me out the front door of my house to be arrested and taken to the fire station)  I wouldn't generalize and say my peers out there were not involved with sports...because most of them were.  I wouldn't generalize and say they didn't do well in school either, because most of them did.  I'm glad nobody got hurt, and that things are better now.  (I know teens used to raid our vegetable garden on Hunt Street for rotten veggies to be used as projectiles, and one year some man drove all around our back field chasing after some kids with his car.) Glad your Halloween was full of treats, and not so many tricks!
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #8 : November 02, 2011, 03:06:26 PM »

Many markets stopped selling eggs to kids on Cabbage Night (day).
Not sure if this still applies.

I don't think any stopped selling TP though.

Take it away, Mr. Rickles..................

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: