Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 11:24:21 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Country Fair Parade Pictures from 1977 (Louise Decker collection)
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Country Fair Parade Pictures from 1977 (Louise Decker collection)  ( 9238 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : August 24, 2011, 08:27:16 PM »

Louise Decker sent me some more pictures that she has scanned from slides. This time pictures are from the start of the Country Fair Parade, early in August 1977, that her husband David took, as the participants come out of the driveway of the Parish Center. The parade used to go from the Center, now St. Luke's, south down Main Street, down Main Hill, turn right onto School Street, up onto Hunt Street, and finish around in back of the school.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #1 : August 25, 2011, 02:19:03 AM »

Those are so neat!

Thank you Louise and Mike.

9th picture, is that Henry with the clarinet????

Just asking..
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : August 25, 2011, 05:32:44 AM »

Fantastic photos - I remember taking some photos up by St. Luke's Rectory of some of the parades, but these photos are far better than those I took - Thanks so much Louise for getting these photos to us.  I am sure they will bring back memories for many.  Chan Cooley's old car, the Band, Sylva Thibault & his lawn mower and I bet a lot of our old time Fairfax kids will be able to point themselves out.

This old Fairfax History Buff really appreciates these - Thanks again Louise

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #3 : August 25, 2011, 06:14:32 AM »

It's great for a newbie like me to see these photos.  Thank you!
David Shea
: 471

« #4 : August 25, 2011, 07:02:36 AM »

Mike,
The man playing the clarinet is Sterling Weed.  He was the first music teacher at BFA.
Dave
Henry
Administrator

« #5 : August 25, 2011, 08:59:45 AM »

The photo of the big old station wagon with the sign on the top, when I look at it with my magnifying glass appears to say "Carpenter of Fairfax."  I seem to remember Carleton Minor having a car like that at one time - anybody else have a different thought??

Henry Raymond
Suzy
: 429

« #6 : August 25, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »

Little Red Riding Hood looks like Cynthia LeClair to me.  I think I see Linda Woodward, Barbara Howell, and Lori Boissoneault in the 4H photo.  I recognize the shirts they are wearing as shirts we probably made in 4H, because I sorta remember making one.  I kinda think I'm in the photo on the right in the back too, but that girl is so skinny, it never could have been me....funny I can't recognize what I think is myself....

I'm pretty sure the tallest person in the band is a McNall. 

Lots of "sorta"'s and "kinda,"'s in my comments, I know...  I love these photos!!  It's so fun to see all the old cars.  (Yes, the sign says Carpenter of Fairfax, although I don't know who that would be)  It's also fun to see the lay of the land and the lack of houses in the backgrounds, and remember tromping over every square inch of that open space, and ice skating on Fireman's Pond....

Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane!
Love to you all,
Suzy
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #7 : August 25, 2011, 11:20:47 AM »

I was 7 years old and these parades were the best as a kid!!!  I MISS THESE PARADES!!!!  Everybody who wanted to participate could, people threw candy to the kids and it was so much fun from watching it to being in it as I got older!

As I looked at the fire trucks in the picture above, I remember hearing them kick the siren off as they threw the candy and waved (all the kids LOVED it).  I remember thinking they were the coolest people!

I remember Dave Day having a float with his wood working and Scott and Craig were on the float.  We had a kindergarten float I was on, also the brownie troops and boy scouts would walk the parade.  I believe Lee Minor had a float for the store as well.

Thank you so much for putting these up here!
« : August 25, 2011, 01:19:00 PM mkr »

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Suzy
: 429

« #8 : August 25, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »

Okay, I was right with some of my guesses... 
I remember the parades went around twice.  You watched it once, and were in it once!
I remember 1976's bicentennial themed parade. 
Happy Summer!
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #9 : August 25, 2011, 01:21:48 PM »

Oh and I remember kids dressing up their bikes with streamers and all riding together as well :-)

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
MikeF9
: 1994

« #10 : August 25, 2011, 02:54:11 PM »

Henry,
Yes, Carpenter of Fairfax IS Carlton Minor.

The old Parish Center looks a lot different today.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator

« #11 : August 25, 2011, 03:25:59 PM »

Louise Decker sent me the following note:

"I don't know how to respond to the forum  but the Little Red and Daniel Boone were Rachel and Andy Hubbert.  My slide scanning is a very big project.  David took lots of pics.  I have to decide which to scan and which to dump.  I've completed 8 years and too many more to go.  I really enjoy your website.  Things have changed there over the years.  Hope things are fine with you.
Louise"

Henry Raymond
katrinaantonovich
: 162

« #12 : August 25, 2011, 08:20:59 PM »

We are hoping to bring back a parade that follows the same path for 4th of July 2012  - anyone interested should contact the rec department at 849-2641 or at fairfaxparksandrec@yahoo.com
Dick Brown
: 414

« #13 : August 25, 2011, 09:33:01 PM »

These are great pictures and it's so typical of Louise to think of her home town when deciding how best to distribute them . The Hubbert family gave a lot to Fairfax through the years and I have fond memories of Myron , Laura , Kim, Louise , Eddie , John and Kim's children in conjunction with their contributions to BFA .
As I viewed the photos and the postings , I am reminded that the Country Fair was originated " back in the day "  as a fundraising event to provide money for the Hot Lunch Program and , of course , it turned into a wonderful social event for the whole town . In fact , many of our youngsters waited all year for the oppportunity to try their luck at the Dunkin' Booth . I don't think any of the volunteers " in the chair " ever outdrew John Gillis...........except maybe me .
The picture of the FFW Band  which included Sterling Weed was taken when he was 76 , I think . An amazing man and what a musician .
Again , thanks for the posting.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #14 : August 26, 2011, 12:47:15 AM »

Louise,

Those scans of your slides are awesome.

Nice job!

The colors are so rich.

Remind me again why we mostly have digital cameras now?

The people that took slides back in the day knew something I didn't.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: