Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 02:33:37 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Your Fairfax 2010 Property Tax Bill Has Something New On It
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Your Fairfax 2010 Property Tax Bill Has Something New On It  ( 16173 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 05, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »

The Local Agreement Rate on your 2010 Property Tax Bill is The Veterans Exemption Rate that was passed by Australian Ballot in March 2010.

The way I understand it is that the exemption given to the Veterans is picked up by the other Tax Payers in town - Now if I don't have this correct, maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can explain this.

Henry Raymond
David Shea
: 471

« #1 : August 05, 2010, 07:03:25 PM »

Henry,

You are absolutely right.  There is a saying, "nothing in life is free".  The veterans in town are given a tax break on their properties, but the town budget was not reduced in proportion, therefore all of the other tax payers have to make up the difference.

I wanted to ask this question in Town Meeting, but was not able to since I could not go.  My wife broke her leg and I was at home taking care of her and my children.

How much does the subsidization amount to?  Will Fairfax will become a destination town for veterans? 

Dave
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : August 05, 2010, 08:11:23 PM »

Tax Bills were being prepared to mail out by the girls, so I expect some of you will be getting them tomorrow or the next day.  Would expect the amount will depend on the value of your property.

Henry Raymond
Mummy
: 280

« #3 : August 06, 2010, 02:14:43 AM »

Thought I heard someone say it was just a few dollars - not to worry - on top of the other few dollars and a few more dollars before that and a few more dollars on top of that and a few dollars before that!  Oh well, just a few more dollars won't make a big difference.
Sue W.
: 167

« #4 : August 06, 2010, 04:49:10 AM »

I copied this from another regular poster's signature line.  I hope he doesn't mind.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'

7F24
: 253

« #5 : August 06, 2010, 05:01:53 AM »

Was the break for all veterans, or disabled veterans?
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : August 06, 2010, 06:32:38 AM »

Article 3 -

Shall the voters of the Town of Fairfax increase the disabled Veterans Exemption from $10,000 to $40,000

This article was voted on by Austrailain Ballot this past March and passed.

Henry Raymond
cedarman
: 370

« #7 : August 06, 2010, 06:50:03 AM »

What is the tax rate - 2.5 to 3%?

If I understand the exemption correctly, it is a reduction in the assessed value of a persons property.  So, if his/her taxed property value is reduced by 10K at a 3% tax rate, the meand they are getting a reduction of $300. If they are getting a 40K reduction in taxed assessment value, that is  $1200.

Personally, I would look at cutting a LOT of other things I'm willing to pay for before I look to cut that small benefit.  I know the county my parents live in (in Northern NY) establishes the allowed exemption based on service status. 10K base exemption for veterans, more for service connected disabled vets and retired vets.  Keep in mind the tax rate there is about 4% so it's a much bigger bill for everyone to pay. 

In the abscence of a mandatory military service requirement that some countries have, I think this is a small price to pay for those of us who have chosen NOT to serve.
slpott
: 457

« #8 : August 06, 2010, 07:19:26 AM »

I know that no one really likes taxes but I would ask the person complaining this question: What have you done for your country? I personally did not serve nor am I qualified of serving  but as a military wife of 23 years I will tell you this. I rather pay taxes than the alternative. I bet every deceased friend of ours and their families would much rather pay taxes than go through the grief the rest of their lives. We have lost a great many friends and I would be more than happy to pay all their taxes just to see their children be able to see their Daddy just one more time. It is pennies in comparison. I do understand the tax being too high though. We pay way too many taxes.
Mummy
: 280

« #9 : August 06, 2010, 08:56:17 AM »

This really isn't the area to make a cut and I am ALL for cutting the Taxes.  There are so many other areas to find savings to reduce our taxing without this minor number.  It would be like eliminating several positions that pay $10/hour which would impact 20-30 employees when you could eliminate a position that paided $50,000.00 and just 2-individual's impacted.
upsy
: 26

« #10 : August 06, 2010, 09:05:42 AM »

This additional tax rate is applied to all tax bills, some of these taxpayers are disabled, low income, have high medical expenses etc. This additional rate does not qualify for the Property Tax Rebate. What may be helping one group of people is a burden on others  just as needy.

Perhaps the Veteran's employer, the US Government, should provide them with the benefits and services they need and have earned.
7F24
: 253

« #11 : August 06, 2010, 09:40:24 AM »

How many disabled vets do we have in Fairfax?  I can't believe there are enough to make any of us notice much of a difference in our tax bills.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #12 : August 06, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »

I have no problem giving a break like that to our local veterans.  Thank you for your service and protecting the freedoms I have everyday.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #13 : August 06, 2010, 04:48:27 PM »

Municipal Tax Rate       0.3964
Local Agreement Rate  0.0016

This is the new disabled veteran's exemption.
We're giving a drop in a bucket to those who paid already.

I do not know how many disabled veterans we have in Fairfax.
I should !

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
mirjo
: 785

« #14 : August 06, 2010, 08:06:13 PM »

Nothing like taxes to jack people up!

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic