Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 01:58:37 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Fire Department Staffing
« previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: Fairfax Fire Department Staffing  ( 19518 )
Barbara
: 270

« #15 : February 17, 2012, 12:53:50 PM »

I feel blessed we have as many dedicated individuals in our community as we do.  They staff our service departments out of a sense of duty, certainly not for any personal benefit.   If Fairfax needs to fund one position to make sure the department is stable I think that is quite a bargain.  The alternative may be not to have a fire department in town and that would be a financial impact on each household as our insurance rates would sky rocket.  These very staff members who have been volunteering, work here in town at wages local employers can support and will be paying a share of this position through their property taxes.  I do not feel it is my place to say this is not a reasonable expense for the town.  The volunteer rescue and fire departments have both provided service to my household over the years and I value their dedication and skill. 
gasman353

« #16 : February 17, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »

Thank you Chief,
       All of your service and members service is greatly appreciated. Our department, as is all fire and rescue organizations, are a valuable resource to the towns they serve. Thank you for clearing some of the issues at hand.
sweetpeakt
: 43

« #17 : February 23, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »

I'm all for it.  My soon-to-be husband is a fireman and I know that although he does work in Fairfax on occasion, he sometimes is not able to leave.  I just hope that everyone looks at the positive of having a full-time fireman and not the negative.  To me, it's a small cost for having a safe community.  I would rather have a full-time fireman over a Sherrif any time. 
lena6
: 357

« #18 : February 23, 2012, 02:16:10 PM »

Justin,  You don't really think you are going to get someone for $50,000?  Unless we are paying the person more but not in the figure of $50K.  How much more will he be getting that we don't know about.  As for the budget, I too will be voting it down.  I want to be able to vote on the 56 hours the sheriff's dept. will be giving us.  I don't like the idea that our Selectman slide things into the budget.  Give us a chance to vote on it.  Sorry guys.
ohhman
: 469

« #19 : February 23, 2012, 02:23:52 PM »

I click the LIKE button for lena6 !  Once they are "in", it won't be long before that's not enough, & here we go again.  I'm with the NO vote also.  Got to give the people a fair say in how much we get taxed!
7F24
: 253

« #20 : February 23, 2012, 05:17:40 PM »

I really don't care how anyone votes, but I am getting confused about the whys.  Do you want the right to vote on every decision the selectboard makes?  I think anyone that feels they should have a line item vote should run for office.  I thank the members of the boards (school and select).  You do a job that very few people want, and too many complain about.
vtoutdoorguymb
: 136

« #21 : February 23, 2012, 10:18:37 PM »

Exactly 7F24, I was wondering how long it would take until the conversation really shifted from "Why do we need this?" to the seemingly more heated issue of "Why weren't we asked?" Two very different issues, and rightfully so. I echo your sentiments, being on any of the "boards" is a thankless job that nobody wants but everyone has an opinion on... Not a position I would want to hold...
ohhman
: 469

« #22 : February 24, 2012, 01:26:04 PM »

I don't feel anyone is criticizing the job the boards do; what I am reading,  have posted,& what this forum is for, is to express our thoughts & feelings.  I have said I do not feel there is a need for the position & have also said my opinion is that we elect the boards to do for the town what they feel is best BUT issues that will be of large cost amounts should be proposed to the people to vote on.  Where in the town report does it say the board has created this position & the costs associated with it- yes I know Justin has stated that in the beginning BUT many people are not on the internet & many people do not read Henry's site ( though I do feel they are losing out!)  Our boards do a good job BUT they have to remember that we vote for them to do this, to do what's for the best interest of the town & part of this is keeping everyone informed & give us a chance to say how/if/when/where new positions should be formed.  Let's face it, many of us have been here a long time & we have seen people come & go whom have wanted (&maybe have) changed things, some for the good & some not so good maybe.  But for some, they want to make changes, maybe not for the best & then they go off & move, leaving the rest of us here to cleanup after...or to deal with the after affects.  Just because we disagree, it is NOT meant as criticism.  Nothing is meant as right or wrong, just our opinion that we are fortunate to be allowed to express.  I have many times thanked the board members for their hard work; doesn't have to mean I have to agree or like the decisions made.  But it is part of the territory that comes with the job, listening to all sides!
mirjo
: 785

« #23 : February 24, 2012, 03:11:42 PM »

It's easy to see how money and cost clouds everything, unfortunately, there are some things that are necessities regardless of cost. I think this might be one of them. While we are fortunate not to have a lot of structure fires in town; however, the lack of adequate fire personnel during the day is noticeable. Seconds/minutes do count in these situations. Ask anyone who has been "there."

Perhaps more volunteers who are available M-F?  If that were possible, it's likely FFFD wouldn't  be in this situation.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
lena6

« #24 : February 24, 2012, 07:22:40 PM »

how is one person going to save a structure fire. 
lena6

« #25 : February 24, 2012, 07:43:28 PM »

I amsorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.  As far as holding an office, I have held one or the other the last 40 years.  When you hold an office, you are going to have to have thick skin.  I remember being on the Zoning Board and believe me, you did not make a whole lot of friends.  So don't talk to me about stepping up and running for an office.  Been there, did that and still doing it.
Luap
: 26

« #26 : February 25, 2012, 06:45:58 AM »

To answer Lena, one person can respond from the station with the main piece of equipment and start the pump.  By that time other volunteers will have arrived (from their place of work) directly to the scene to help.  Two minutes can mean a lot for the people who called.
lena6

« #27 : February 25, 2012, 07:32:58 AM »

I guess I tend to agree with you.  I just wished it was a line item but maybe that is just being petty on my part.  So many years we have had line items when it came to voting on money items outside of the budget.  Maybe we have given the Selectboard to much power.  Just put it in the budget, we have never been voted down. 
Mummy
: 280

« #28 : February 27, 2012, 10:58:46 PM »

Like it or not, it sounds like a done deal to me!  This year one salary of $50,000 and next year two more salaries at $55,000 plus benefits and don't forget they want UNIFORMS and most likely it will be in the budget with DRY CLEANING services also! 

I still don't get it .... if the property that is on Fire has insurance why don't they reimburse the Town for the expense of the Truck and resources used?  Just wondering .....

If I could vote on this I would vote NO just because we are not ST. Albans and we have a good volunteer team and good people who would make time to help during the day if there were a fire!   But it sounds like the Selectboard fixed it so that I can't vote for it at all .... it is all or nothing!

sweetpeakt
: 43

« #29 : February 28, 2012, 09:37:06 AM »

Maybe instead on complaining on a forum, go to town meeting!  Last year there was a very small turnout.  Make an impression and state your concerns to the board. 
: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
: