Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 03:28:18 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  BFA cutting down on the arts?
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: BFA cutting down on the arts?  ( 22766 )
vtoutdoorguymb
: 136

« : October 05, 2010, 10:37:22 PM »

Attention all BFA Alums! I heard through the grapevine that BFA is planning on reducing the hours of BFA's band instructor Bruce McRae down to 75% of full time. In my opinion, this is the first step in the wrong direction for a school that has a rich and proud history of excellent and successful drama clubs and band. Arts are always the first to suffer from budgetary issues, but they play an important and valuable role in many students growth and education. I know that to many of us the arts had at least some positive part in our time at BFA. Whether it was drama or band or both, please, anyone who supports the arts (or Bruce) should contact the school and/or school board via email or phone and let them know your thoughts on this either way.

See the link below if you want some info on why the arts are so important.

http://www.newhorizons.org/strategies/arts/joseph.htm
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #1 : October 06, 2010, 06:26:15 AM »

The School Board will be having a Meeting on October 11th.
I believe at 6:30pm in the Multi-Purpose Room for
"Budget Input from the Community"

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Luap
: 26

« #2 : October 06, 2010, 12:04:42 PM »

It was quoted once by a former school administrator  that sport (BASEBALL)  was an art. I say let fair be fair. Band for non-sport students is the "sport of their choise.  Music festival is the "playoff game" of their "sport".  We should not deny them of it. (This goes for drama also).
     If you want to cut back on expenses, I think we should cut back on sport trips as well.  We should cut any sport trips UNDER JV sport.  We have enough students in school to form teams to play among each other.
     That is my opinion, what's yours.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #3 : October 06, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »

I would like to hear what the reasons behind cutting him back to 75% is. I wish I could attend the meeting but I have to work, so maybe someone could attend and fill us in.

I think Sports and the Arts are equally important.  I am also a believer in the boosters club and for the band to do fundraisers to help keep all the "games" going.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Margie
: 156

« #4 : October 06, 2010, 12:55:38 PM »

I agree with MK; I would like to hear the reasons behind cutting him back 25%.  We went thru this same thing quite a few years ago, but ultimately Bruce McRae was restored to full time within a year or so.  I don't know how the instrumental program works anymore, but doesn't Bruce deal with more than just Band?  I know there is another teacher too, so I wonder if reducing his time means actual class time would be removed?

The importance of the music program on my life is immeasurable, as was Drama.  For so many students, music and theatre are their entire extracurricular experience.  We need to continue to encourage the programs, not chisel them down, as I am concerned is happening to the drama program.

I will try to make that meeting on the 11th.
logical
: 141

« #5 : October 06, 2010, 01:29:44 PM »

It would be interesting to know the reason for the cutback before people start speculating. 

I am a firm believe that both sports and drama/music programs are very important to building a child's foundation.  However, as has been pointed out to me several times when speaking on the issue of full day kindergarten, times are tough and cutbacks need to be made.  I do believe that these programs can continue with support from the community (i.e. booster clubs, etc.) and with support from the parents of the children participating.  My children participate in club sports (baseball & soccer) and as such WE as parents pay for their participation, not tax payers.  Perhaps that is how school sports and other extracurricular activities will go in the future as well.
Sue W.
: 167

« #6 : October 06, 2010, 03:26:10 PM »

I'd always heard that playing an instrument helped raise a child's grades.  I am not sure if the element of practice was responsible for this.  I've been the parent of a jock and a music kid, and always took comfort knowing that the music events were being held inside and out of the elements, mostly!  I think it is an important part of education.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #7 : October 06, 2010, 03:34:02 PM »

Aboslutely Sue!  I am a BFA graduate who played sports, in band, and in drama.  I like to think these helped me in many ways but some are a team player. have no fear talking in front of a crowd, and the music was a key player to express myself.  They are all important!  I look forward to hearing what Margie finds out.  Thanks for going!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
David Shea
: 471

« #8 : October 06, 2010, 04:12:40 PM »

Wouldn't it be nice to have our cake and eat it to. 

It is my understanding that the school board needs to find $400,000.00 in cuts this year to level fund as is recommended by the VT Department of Education.   I too benefited by the music, drama and sports programs at BFA, however budget cuts of this size can only be found by staff reductions.  Only so much money can be saved by physical plant and office supplies.

Get ready for more staffing cuts as this is the only place where cost reductions of this size can be made.

On a side note, can anyone tell me how many children are currently playing in the band? How many children are taking private music lessons?  What is the percent reductions vs years past?
« : October 06, 2010, 04:15:16 PM David Shea »
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #9 : October 06, 2010, 04:55:49 PM »

in my opinion it is the parents responsibility to provide extra activities for their children not the schools and if that had been adhered to along time ago we wouldn't be in this mess now ,it has turned into a big babysitting job for someone else,take care and spend sometime with your kids the just might surprise you
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #10 : October 06, 2010, 05:05:40 PM »

The meeting on Monday, October 11th is at 6:00pm in the Multi-Purpose Room.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Vtsharon
: 25

« #11 : October 06, 2010, 05:44:20 PM »

As a BFA graduate I am concerned that music is going to take the hit - for me it provided the creative outlet and challenge that academics didn't. Not every kid is an athlete and for someone like me who was shy, music was important to finding my special talent and building my self confidence (Thank You Mac). Music/the arts shouldn't be the sacrificial lamb. Are there equal (%) cuts in athletics? Pretty sure the cost to fund any of the various sports teams is more expensive then music. Don't the coaches get paid? Don't they have to take care of the fields, gym, equipment, more travel costs, etc...
Fairfax isn't alone with this issue as the schools down here (NH seacoast) have already tried to cut the arts in our Middle School. Fortunately they found a way to spread the cuts throughout the school's programs.
7F24
: 253

« #12 : October 06, 2010, 08:06:56 PM »

"in my opinion it is the parents responsibility to provide extra activities for their children not the schools and if that had been adhered to along time ago we wouldn't be in this mess now ,it has turned into a big babysitting job for someone else,take care and spend sometime with your kids the just might surprise you"

Do you concider reading and writing "extra activities", or is it music and sports you are talking about?  In my opinion they are all a part of an education, and all are important.  I'm going to the meeting, hope to see you there Ed.
vtoutdoorguymb
: 136

« #13 : October 06, 2010, 09:44:58 PM »

I would like to echo a couple thoughts on here. As a student I was lucky enough to be involved not only in two sports throughout high school at BFA, but also was able to take part in band, the music festivals, and drama. So much of our education is forced upon us early in life, it is truly a shame that the parts of that experience that make it enjoyable AND educational are being threatened by budgetary issues.

As was said, for some students sports are either not an option or they have little interest in it. For many of these folks, the only activities that they truly enjoy are the arts. Whether art class, chorus, band or drama, these provide an outlet for growth and education unparalleled by standard classroom lessons.

I do have to bring up the point that band is a credited course at BFA, and has already been pushed to the bottom of the barrel since students wishing to learn to play an instrument must be at school a full hour before any other student. Sports, as important as they are, are rarely touched by monetary troubles and are not courses that provide credits toward graduation.

Reflecting on my personal experiences, I fully support sports and the arts, and there should be equal opportunities for both for our young people. Budget issues are an unfortunate part of the world we currently find ourselves in, but careful consideration should be made as to what compromises we are willing to make to meet these challenges. If the only way to reduce costs are to start cutting out these "extra curricular" activities then so be it, but it should be across the board, not picking and choosing which ones are deemed as less important or more dispensable than others.
David Shea
: 471

« #14 : October 06, 2010, 10:03:12 PM »

I understand that the rumored cuts to the music program appear to be unfair.  A cut to any one program always looks that way, doesn't it?   Who is to say that this will be the only cut?  You can't tell me that 25% of a position will plug the $400,000.00 hole? 

Let's just assume that the number of students has dropped in the instrumental music program.  When I was in band from 1984 -1988 there were about 50 students in the high school band.  Every year 7-10 of us qualified for All New England Band, 10-15 qualified for All State Music Festival, prior to 1985 two students qualified for the McDonald Marching Band.

The last time that I went to a high school band concert at it looked like there were 25 kids in the band.  

Let just say that the 50% reduction in the number of students in band is true based on my observations, wouldn't it go without saying that the staffing level must be adjusted accordingly?  Wouldn't one also ask, what has happened since the late 1980's that has caused the decreased interest, retention rate, etc of students who are involved in musical instruction at BFA?

All of this being said... we need to look at the facts.  

Vermont is facing a huge budget deficit.  VT Department of Education is mandating 0% budget increases.  The Federal Government has forced programs upon schools that are not funded.

Before you shoot the messenger, decide what target to shoot.  There was a time when our school administrators and school board had a say in the budget.  The State of Vermont & Fed are now using our administration and board as the instrument of delivery of unfunded mandates.  These mandates must be funded & they come at the expense of programs.

If the problem looks unfair or oversimplified... look again.  Better yet volunteer to be on the school board, select board, planning or development review boards.  I know there will be opening soon... maybe somebody on this board could do a better job?  Or maybe we all could just stone you when difficult decisions need to be made?

« : October 06, 2010, 10:05:21 PM David Shea »
: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
: