Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 11:50:23 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  School Budget Article 4-$60,000 New Technology
« previous next »
: [1]
: School Budget Article 4-$60,000 New Technology  ( 3517 )
JLB
: 56

« : January 29, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »

The School Board is holding a Budget Informational meeting on Feb. 20, 2006 at 7:00 pm.     All the school articles and the general budget will be presented.   Followed by a question and answer time from the public.  

In the meantime, as the Community Representative on  the Technology Committee, I thought to send along a brief note giving some details on Article 4.   This way folks have some time  to think it over before the 20th.

There are 293 computers throughout the school, including 11 in the Community Library.     Of the 293, 75 are more than 8 years old and are running on Windows 95 with processors as slow as 133 MHZ.     The hope is to use $60,000 from the Budget surplus to replace these computers.  

There are a number of reasons why it would be best to replace these computers at this time.  

1.    They are too costly to maintain.   A lot of time is being spent on troubleshooting and fixing these PC's.   Video cards and other internal hardware components are breaking down.  Replacing them is not always feasible.

2.   Often one of these PC's needs a new printer.    The new  printers are not compatible with Windows 95.

3.    These PC's can only handle old  antivirus software, which leaves the school vulnerable.

4.  Some safety software and a Groupwise Email will not install.

5.  Many high school students are bringing their own Flash Drives/Stick Drives for homework projects.  These too will not work on Windows 95.

The hardware on these systems is not capable of handling an Upgrade to Windows XP.

I know folks are understandably concerned about the surpluses from the last 3 years.   The Board has indicated that  current projections are that there will not be a surplus next year.  

My hope is folks will understand this dire need and not allow the idea of surpluses to prevent them from voting in favor of  Article 4.

I have been attending School Board Meetings.   In my opinion the Board and the Administration is very responsible in spending.     They receive numerous requests for funding.   They only approve those requests which are very warranted.     The surpluses are  more a result of income coming in more than  what was projected.   Mainly an increase in the number of students attending BFA from surrounding towns.   These towns pay BFA  tuition.

JLB
: [1]  
« previous next »
: