BFA – Multi-Purpose Room
PC MEMBERS PRESENT: G. Heyer, A. Lemieux, M. Hunziker
PUBLIC PRESENT: S. Taylor, ZA; G. Brunswick, NRPC; P. Stewart; S. Arnzen; S. St.Pierre; L. Griffin;
T. Lavigne; J. Geer; K. Antonovich; D. Bellows; J. Brown; P. Bushey; R. Ertl; J. Ertl; A. Ziegler
7:00 PM The second Public Forum took place on a Saturday afternoon. G. Heyer welcomed the public and introduced the Planning Commission members and G. Brunswick from Northwest Regional Planning Commission. G. Brunswick used a power point presentation and she talked about each area. The first section was focused on what is the Town Plan and why it is important. She then went over the Survey Results. Four major areas for discussion were identified:
1) Balancing Growth with Rural Community Feel 2) Agricultural and Forest Land 3) Business
and Commercial Development 4) Recreation
The participants then broke into two groups to discuss two of the four major issues. The first group talked about balancing growth while maintaining a rural community feel. Some of the topics discussed include:
1) Walkability in the Village: a) Crosswalks and safety issues. b) Adding and maintaining sidewalks.
2) Truck Traffic: a) Effects character of Village. b) Safety issue for pedestrians.
3) What is the center of Fairfax? a) Intersection of Main St. and Fletcher Road is very dangerous. b)
Create Town Green, maybe near recreation parks. c) Place for community to come together for
social activities. d) Need more businesses. f) Water and Sewer constraints in Village is major issue
for the whole Town because all residents use the Village resources and more businesses need to be
encouraged in the Village.
4) Effect of Growth on the rural character: a) Open rural and Agricultural land crucial. b) High
density building in village change quality of living. c) Multi-family dwellings change look of
village. d) Village has changed and farms reduced. e) New developments in outlying areas change
feel of Town.
The second group discussed Recreation.
1) Need Conservation Commission and an inventory of all the Natural Resources in Town.
2) Recreation Department needs more hours authorized, and more volunteers. Fairfax is a bedroom
community and it is very important to have recreational opportunities available to residents.
3) Various paths in Town need to be expanded into a network: a) school paths b) Recreation field
paths c) need sidewalks or paths on Buckhollow Rd. d) need more sidewalks on Main Street and to
the Post Office.
4) Community Center: a) Physical place to gather and socialize – need a building as school space is
minimal. B) Need communication of social activities in Town.
All residents are welcome to join a focus group to concentrate on any one of the major issues in Fairfax to help the Planning Commission develop a Town Plan that really reflects the future needs of the people.
Next Planning Commission meeting will be on January 8, 2008 with Greta Brunswick.
Cathy Raymond, Zoning and Planning Assistant
Approved_____________________________________ Date______________, 2007