Planning Commission Minutes                     April 21, 2009



PC MEMBERS PRESENT: G. Heyer, M Hunziker, D. Brown, A. Lemieux

PUBLIC PRESENT: S. Taylor, ZA; G. Brunswick (NRPC)


7:15 PM   G. Heyer called the meeting to order. The minutes from April 7, 2009 were reviewed. 

M. Hunziker made a motion to accept the Minutes from April 7, 2009.  D. Brown second.  All in favor.

D. Brown expressed interest in attending the Board Member’s training provided by NRPC.  There was general discussion on the future wind farm in Georgia, as well as discussion on wireless network towers. G. Brunswick led discussion on district dimensional standards. 


The issue of road frontage was discussed in detail.  S. Taylor mentioned that the frontage issue has been a problem for the Development Review Board (DRB) in some developments, especially for land locked parcels. M. Hunziker could think of no reason to have frontage requirements.  If frontage requirements are removed, hammer heads would be needed for back lots, for emergency vehicle turn-around.  Minimum lot widths were discussed.  The town does not want “bowling alley” shaped lots, but the issue of triangular lots and “flag” shaped lots was brought up.  Ingress and egress to a back lot is needed.  G. Brunswick will give more thought to these issues.


Planned Unit Developments (PUDs) were the next topic of discussion. G. Brunswick handed out a sheet of discussion points which included density bonuses and traditional subdivision standards vs. PUD standards.  There will need to be more work and thought put into this issue.  The current 10% density bonus for creating a PUD will be reconsidered.  There were other issues brought up with regulating future PUDs such as: administration issues (including recording and tracking conditions); personnel changes; changes in regulations; language in Deeds, Town priorities, etc. Flexibility for good design is an important criterion for PUDs.  G. Brunswick will review the language for the Towns of Middlebury and Starksboro and make suggestions for Fairfax. 


The next discussion point was for a public forum to gather information and ideas. G. Heyer will do the introduction then G. Brunswick will talk about proposed dimension requirements and how PUDs will work.  She will make it as simple as possible. Post cards will be mailed to all residents with a sticker added for large land owners (over 50 acres) to encourage their attendance.  The 2007 Town Survey revealed concern about increased growth in Town.  The new Bylaws will hopefully slow the growth in Fairfax while preserving natural resources.  There may be changes in density and minimum lot sizes.  A tentative date for the first forum will be June 23, 2009. 


The next meeting will be on May 5th without G. Brunswick. 

9:00 PM  A. Lemieux made a motion to adjourn.  D. Brown second.  All in favor.



Respectfully Submitted,

Cathy Raymond, Zoning and Planning Assistant




Approved_____________________________________ Date______________, 2009



These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly scheduled meeting.