Planning Commission Minutes                     January 6, 2009



PC MEMBERS PRESENT: G. Heyer, A. Lemieux, R. Wimble, M Hunziker, D. Brown



7:30 PM   G. Heyer called the meeting to order. The minutes from December 2, 2008 were reviewed. 

A. Lemieux made a motion to accept the Minutes from December 2, 2008.  R. Wimble second.  G. Heyer, A. Lemieux, R. Wimble and D. Brown in favor.  


S. Taylor brought up the Municipal Planning Grant that was applied for, to update the current Bylaws in keeping with the new Town Plan. The amount of available funds from the State has been reduced, and there is a strong possibility that the Town will not receive a Grant this year.  He also brought up the Town Budget. There was much discussion on whether or not the Board should work on revising the Bylaws this current year without the Grant that would allow extensive help from Northwest Regional Planning Commission (NWRP). Greta Brunswick from NRPC had provided a new “Table of Contents” for the suggested format revision of the Bylaws. It is important to fix some areas of the Bylaws and to have the Bylaws reflect the new Town Plan that was adopted in September, 2008. NRPC will also be available to answer questions and to provide general assistance. The Planning Commission unanimously agreed to work on changing the Bylaws.  C. Raymond will draft a memo to the Selectboard to affirm that the Board feels it is important to update the Bylaws during 2009.


The Board reviewed the Planning Commission’s contribution to the annual report.  It will be submitted as written.


M. Hunziker made a motion that one unanimous vote be done to elect the Officers of the Planning Commission. A. Lemieux second.  All in favor.  M. Hunziker moved to elect G. Heyer as Chairman, R. Wimble as Vice Chairman, and M. Hunziker as Clerk.  A. Lemieux second.  All in favor.


Discussion returned to the Bylaw revision.  S. Taylor identified six major areas that needed revision:

1.  Certification of private roads – needs more specific details and inspections from the Engineer.

2.  Boarding Houses – current Bylaws states that renting one room constitutes a Boarding House.

3.  Frontage requirements for subdivision of land-locked back lots.

4.  Requirements to survey the entire parcel, for small portion of land to be subdivided or for a boundary


5.  Permits not required for specific reasons such as finishing basements, garages, or adding a roof over the

    deck.  The Listers mentioned lost revenue for the Town by not requiring these Permits.

6.  Wording clarification of “lots”, “uses” and “units” in relationship to roads and driveways.

S. Taylor will provide specific recommendations for changes to these areas. 

C. Raymond will provide a draft of a new Table of Contents for the upcoming revisions.

A. Lemieux will provide a summary of the Home Share Program and suggestions to change the definition of Boarding Houses. Both house sitting, and caring for others as a hospice caregiver, will also effect the definition.


Various buildings in Town that are in transition were discussed.  Also various issues were discussed including what to do about animal carcasses that are on the banks of the rivers or roads.  M. Hunziker mentioned a clean-up drive that was organized by the local Business Association a while back. 


8:45 PM M. Hunziker made a motion to adjourn.  A. Lemieux second.  All in favor. 


Respectfully Submitted,

Cathy Raymond, Zoning and Planning Assistant



Approved_____________________________________ Date______________, 2009



These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly scheduled meeting.